Garage

Tommygun

I built my 1st kit in a cobbled together timber shed affair, it was damp, dark and made the build process horrible at times.

I built a new garage this year and have been building my new westie in there and its been a totally different pleasurable experience. The new garage is insulated in all the walls, ceiling and the door. I've also got central heating in there and its great! As said paint the walls and ceiling white it reflects the light. I used old fashioned high frequency fluorescent lights in a bright white and they are superb, bang for buck you cant beat them. Yes i could have gone LED but would have been 4x the cost to get the same lumens.

In my last place everything was on open shelves so everytime you did any grinding/sanding/cutting everything got filled with the dust and it drove me potty. This time i've fitted an ex display kitchen at the end and bought a load of the cheapest ikea units along 1 wall to keep everything tidy, total cost was around 300 quid but as a one off i think its worth it.

Toolwise my lot chipped in for a new halfords pro black tool chest and it just about holds everything and stops  the "hunt the 10mm spanner game".

Oh And plan plenty of power sockets.

20160727_182711.jpg

• Like 1

Radio, radiator and enough obstacles to keep the wife out....and her from "tidying up" :down:

I built myself a nice (for my standards) workshop when we moved here 3 years back. 10 double sockets, dedicated 16A supply for the welder, lots of shelves, workbench, pillar drill, tool chests, good lighting.....then somewhere along the way I managed to lose track of the floor. Its bl**** well disappeared and I can't find it anywhere.....

So, I'd suggest a good supply of discipline to make sure you don't fill your lovely new garage with crap from other tasks.

I live in hope that one day, when I have finished the bathroom project, I will be able to find the workshop floor again. One day.....

• Like 1

My current garage doesn't have any power so I need to get that sorted pretty quickly.

If you're starting from scratch can you get an inspection pit, or are they contrary to building regs nowadays?

I'm in the process of fitting a 'Tea' button in the garage, push it and someone brings a cup of tea.

I'm not having much luck with it at the moment as it's more of a 'push it and someone swears' button.

If you fix your car in the McDonands drive-though it works though.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Holy thread resurrection 

Well it's been a long time building, but it's slowly taking shape 

All I need to do it transplant all my major tools over now and finally the Westfield (after I sort the sheared bolt in the thermostat housing ) 

IMG_2141.JPG

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG

IMG_2168.JPG

IMG_2169.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG

IMG_2189.JPG

IMG_2218.JPG

IMG_2220.JPG

• Like 1

That wooden bench looks good! I got some steel shelving from Machine Mart and spaced it off the wall. A batten on the wall provides support for a chipboard worktop over two sets of shelves in an L shape, is man sized and works well tool. I got some steel shelving from Aldi to complete the job.

It's still a bit of a tip tho' :blush:

Got a few more things like L-returns that can be pin hinged on to the end of the workbench 

the end will be steel topped for welding and have holes in it for suction to the under bench Hoover thing.

Led strip along the Batton edge to provide low level lighting for soldering etc

more pegboard for usual tools in garden etc 

Few weeks away 

just can't wait to get the car in and have a fully sorted place to work on it ;)

Looks like a very good setup and probably better than most peoples here. I kick myself every time I go into mine for not painting it white whilst I had the chance. I managed to bag some blue tile matting from my old job for free which totally finishes off the look of the garage. Its not cheap stuff, but just makes it look amazing. Keep the pictures coming, I'm always interested in a garage layout!