Garage

Tommygun

Hello you lovely folks,

Finally got planning for a garage and already got a machine mart/ Desmond Tweeks shopping list, but I was wondering:

What are the best items in your garages? What could you never live without? And how do you go about organising your tools and work flows?

Keen for any tips really

Cheers

Tommy

Hello you lovely folks,

Finally got planning for a garage and already got a machine mart/ Desmond Tweeks shopping list, but I was wondering:

What are the best items in your garages? What could you never live without? And how do you go about organising your tools and work flows?

Keen for any tips really

Cheers

Tommy

Best item would be the Westfield, followed a close second by my huge stack of wood. 

What coudln't I live without? Soft foam flooring and excellent lighting. 

Organising my tools....not familiar with the concept...

The best thing I ever did to the previous garage was painting it white and improving the lighting (is that two things?). The best thing I've improved at the current garage, aside from sticking the Westfield in it, is again lighting. A moveable work lamp this time for localised light.

"Work flows" and what looks like a mixing desk.......happy days!

Best? A leak free roof (which it wasn't) and painting it white.

Couldn't do without my unending patience......but that's a crossflow thing.

Hi,

I absolutely second good lighting in the garage.  I have seven small 150W floodlamps at ceiling level around my generously sized single garage - which also cover all my personal heating needs on all but the coldest winter evenings!

As regards tool organisation,  I now have three multi-drawer cabinets and by regularly putting my tools away, the searching time has been vastly reduced!

Whilst building my Eleven, I always used to lay out the parts for each stage, read the build guide, sleep on it then assembly / installation the next day always went well (or a subsequent day after I had worked out a better method after thinking things over more).

As regards things I couldn't do without:

• Plenty of bench space - minimum enough to comfortably sit a rigid axle on (or the biggest single component / assembly of your car)
  • Air powered riveter - no more "nips" as the hand gun snaps shut.
  • Solder station (posh soldering iron), Heat Shrink Tubing and Car Builder Solutions' good terminal crimps (that put the "double fold" into the connectors where they grip the cables.
  • 1/4" socket set and extension bars - small and easy to fit into spaces and used for most assembly jobs unless big nuts/bolts are encountered and high torques needed.
  • A good battery drill / driver (and sharp drill bits and step drills in a range of sizes).
  • Good quality sidecutters - mine are £30 insulated CK ones that I have had for nearly 30 years now.  My plumbers shears are nearer 40 years old - and I was given them by a steel fixer on a site so I have no idea how old they really are!
  • Cable tie installation tool - that tensions and neatly cuts off the tail (another use for the sidecutters).  I have a scar on my arm where my Sunbeam Lotus got me with a sharp cable tie end that had been fitted and cut off by someone else, so I get properly OCD now ensuring that all ends are trimmed square and flush.
  • Aluminium racing trolley jack - low entry and light weight
  • A good stock of fixings such as nuts / bolts, P-Clips, Cable Ties, Saddles, Electrical Connectors and Covers
  • DAB radio in the corner of the garage - particularly Sunday afternoons for Johnny Walker's "Sounds of the Seventies"!

Simon

• Like 1

Actually tell a lie that's not the series 5 console

No idea which one that is.

Not yours then?

I mess around with Ableton Live in my little area

10922435_902427916454264_505098094881129

I'm not too creative, but it's fun none the less!

Sorry, gone completely off topic.....

i like you mini radio telescope. 

It picks up alien sounds every time I sing into it

Nice

Ableton is a good DAW and used it for loads :)

Desk in the pic is a studio one, not sure where tho can't remember.

Use a lot of DIGI boards these days and get to play with the odd analogue, depending on what's requested.

Back to the topic tho ;)......

Solder station definitely in there with all the trimmings of heat shrink etc

Anyone use pin boards or rebar matting on the walls for tools/ spraying things etc?

Would you include it in the build or slot it in after and brace it on the lintels etc (no building inspector or steel calls to mess around with)

Favourite things, apart from the Westie would be an ex-garage compressor, bead blasting cabinet, pillar drill, lathe, powder coating gun and oven.