Mobile phone boosters

dombanks

I have absolutely crap phone signal in this flat. Must just be orientation/walls/02s mediocre network.

Anyone had any luck with those booster things that seem to have an antenna you put outside, an amplifier (I guess), and an internal aerial?

Yes they do help - I bought one for a salesman that had a poor signal at home.  If you are on O2 / Tmobile you can also enable normal calls via wifi if you have a recent iphone.

David

we got T Mobile (EE) to give us a free signal box as our reception was so poor.  now we get 5 bars everywhere in the house and garden.

It's a Samsung 6 of the non exploding variety ;) I think the Mrs is on 02 as a contract so maybe they will give her one. Mine is giffgaff. But they don't seem too expensive to buy anyway

O2 coverage is so bad for me, work provide me with an O2 boost box which uses my internet for mobile coverage. Only downside is if I send lots of data to the internet .e.g. an e-mail with large attachments, I apparently sound like a dalek during the e-mail upload! I'm on 70MB Virgin Fibre too. I 'think' O2 charge circa £150 for a boost box, which I wouldn't pay out of my own pocket for a solution to their poor network coverage!

"Boosters" supplied by the provider to boost their own signal are fine. 

"Boosters" that re-broadcast ALL provider mobile phone signals are illegal.

The way forwards is to see if your provider supports wifi calling on your handset. If so then enable and use this. It should be free and doesn't need any extra hardware.

In my experience (I have a fair bit as I support several customers with SP supplied signal boosters) the hardware repeaters like Vodafones "Sure Signal" are OK but they can be just as flaky as a signal when you're in a bad area. They also don't allow the call to roam because they usually use your internet connection to route the call to the provider. When the handset moves out of range of the signal booster the call will drop.

Thanks. I've only seem boosters that do 1 or maybe 2 networks (apparently). Usually related to a frequency. There seem to be many around that have an antenna that you put outside and then one that sits inside. They claim 300m2 coverage but if they are not legal then I'll steer clear

It's just for in the apartment which is not big so roaming is not a problem. We are in a sub ground floor in a Victorian building. Signal is at best patchy but as soon as you step outside it's OK so these seemed a good idea. I'd be quite happy about one that used the WiFi as it's virgin so ok

Our EE signal box connects to our (wifi) router.  As I said, 5 bars ALL OVER the house and garden now.  Zero drop-outs.

I've got a Vodafone sure signal that routes over wifi and generally have 5 bars anywhere in the house.

I've got a Vodafone sure signal that routes over wifi and generally have 5 bars anywhere in the house.

Routes over wifi? It doesn't have a cable that plugs in to your broadband router? I may be behind the curve on this :oops:

That said, I'd want to get it off wifi if possible.

I had one of those Vodafone things, it was dreadful! Was actually more unreliable than the poor Vodafone quality with no assistance. Not that I'd have realised, if my business partner hadn't recorded what the call sounded like at his end to show me. It must be said though, he had an identical Vodafone box that seemed to work OK, I gave up after the supplier we were using sent me a second one and it was no better.

I've now returned to O2, which ironically, has the better signal strength at home, and at quite a few customers I visit!

Routes over wifi? It doesn't have a cable that plugs in to your broadband router? I may be behind the curve on this :oops:

That said, I'd want to get it off wifi if possible.

I don't understand the question...

I don't understand the question...

You said:

I thought they connected to the internet router with a wire, not over wifi? You phone connects to the Sure Signal wirelessly (obviously) and the Sure Signal connects to your router with a wire, yes?

Yeah, the Sure Signal I've got connects to the router via a cable. I never looked whether it could connect wirelessly to the router, though it's possible it might. It certainly routes via the broadband though.

Incidentally, I don't know if it's of any use to anyone, or what you'd even need to set it up, but my old Sure Signal box if free to anyone that'll pay for the postage.

I actually must have miscounted earlier in the thread how many of these I've had; this must be the third, as when I came to look at it after Blatters post, above, it was still sealed up and hadn't been unboxed! (It still hasn't been unboxed, though I did get the instructions out to check the broadband connection answer.) Seems a shame to throw it away, but that's what will happen! I'm on O2 now, so it's no use to me.

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG