Carbon Westfield chassis?

Craig Spooner

Did I understand it correctly in that "only" the passenger tub will be CF so front and rear chassis will remain steel and will therefore need to be bolted to the tub?

A paper copy of this article was put under my nose this morning, may be the cause of some wallet hoovering in future

http://www.eurekamagazine.co.uk/design-engineering-features/technology/cracking-carbon-fibre/146349/

Don't worry I'm sure the parts department will make it difficult to order. 

cheap shot

• Like 2

The article suggests it will be customer-ready by end of 2016.  So we'll see it in 5 years maybe?

• Like 1

From the talk Westfield did at the Derby Notts club at the end of last year it sounded like a carbon centre 'tub' with spaceframe steel front and rear to accommodate various engine and/or rear transmission setups.

Sounds like it'd be pretty cool if it is done well.

Hope the Westfield one doesn't look like the orange one they built. Nearly fell off the bog laughing

Interesting development, lets hope it comes off. Would also make a big difference to crash results, let alone the racing.

Hope the Westfield one doesn't look like the orange one they built. Nearly fell off the bog laughing

Oh i thought it looked eye catching, and a bit cute.

• Like 1

I did see an early prototype when I visited the factory earlier in the year. It needed quite a bit more development before being production ready. From memory it was a CF tub with steel front and rear bolt on suspension and engine chassis.

i do think there are some interesting developments that would make a visit worth while, this and the rotary prototype are moving forward.

Great to see Westfield getting involved in innovative solutions. Development takes time to get right, innovative development only extends the time to market further.

As the article says, NDA's limit what the author can say. So sending out this teaser is to prompt feedback.

If the outcome is a significantly stiffer, lighter and same cost as steel chassis.... who doesn't want that!

Fantastic potential, let's hope a marketable solution becomes available!

Keep up the good work Westfield

Andy

• Like 1

Fantastic potential, let's hope a marketable solution becomes available!

they started in 1998 with the fw400  :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Interesting stuff! Any idea if it actually went into production? Tried to look at their website, but I don't seem to find any information! I presume, though, the weight-saving must be massive since a carbon fibre tub would seem pretty light. On the other hand, I found some pictures on the web, which I believe was the prototype. What are your thoughts on using carbon fibre as part of the tub?

Screenshot (13).png