DIY question

dombanks

Again sorry...

We have a big closet that had bare plaster in it when we moved in. I read that you should prime walls with watered down pva before painting. So that's what we did. Then painted white. This was 3 months ago. Now the paint is just lifting off. If you stick some tape on the wall it will pull all the paint off right down to bare plaster.

Any idea on what I should do?

I'm guessing sand it all down and repaint? Use some sort of primer before putting emulsion on?

Pva is more trouble than its worth in a lot of applications. Just get some emulsion water down the first coat and then a thicker coat.

A lot of the decorators I meet on site now reckon the same; they only pva as a prep for surfaces to be tiled. On emulsioned surfaces they just put a couple of thinned "mist" coats on first. But you do need to make sure everywhere has dried through thoroughly first.

Go to Wickes and buy some "New plaster paint" . Don't use any form of vinyl emulsion as it just skins over the surface, you need something that will sink into the new plaster.