Heater v Heated Seats

garytipping

As I'm going with a windscreen, I need to install a demister / heater. Looking at the alternatives I could fit a conventional hot water type heater, or go heated screen and heated seats, any thoughts?

I've been quoted around £200 for a screen, and as my seats have removable covers, i could fit heating elements to them. From an installation point of view this would be easier, a little more costly but not much.

Cheers

Gary

I thought we didn't really have any alternatives to the Westfield-supplied windscreen?

It's tricky, you can get a lot more heat from a water heater but you don't need as much power with heated seats as a lot more of the heat is supplied to the occupants...

I think electric is simpler to set up but you probably have a bit more flexibility with a heat exchanger.

Disclaimer: I haven't got to this stage of my build yet!

Funny, we were only discussing heated seats at the last Curborough breakie meet. Some of the kits can be really effective, but whether as a replacement for a heater, I don't know.

My gut reaction is no, but in fairness, I've never tried them in a Westfield, AND I'm basing it on how I tend to feel the worst of the cold when Westfielding. Others who feel the cold differently, would quite reasonably have a different view...

(I find even if I'm really wrapped up, it's my feet that end up feeling the cold the worst, a heater has completely solved this. I don't know how heated seats would help, when trying to keep the extremities warm, though I can see them being a really handy addition to a heater!)

Heated seats seem quite a popular addition over in Caterham circles, though there again, I get the impression that it's more as an addition to a heater rather than a common replacement.

• Like 1

Yes, to the drivers footwell. The ecu mounting plate rather blocks the passenger footwell, so instead I normally use the feed that would do that side for a vent in the dash instead. (It's a winter job to fit one on the Honda car, for various reasons I left it out while doing IVA)

The dash vent is useful for hand warming, and as I use quite a powerful blower, normally can be felt below about 34/40 mph, and obviously with the roof up!

It's surprising just how effective the footwell heater side of things can be though. You get a real build up of warm air down there.

• Like 1

As I'm going with a windscreen, I need to install a demister / heater. Looking at the alternatives I could fit a conventional hot water type heater, or go heated screen and heated seats, any thoughts?

I've been quoted around £200 for a screen, and as my seats have removable covers, i could fit heating elements to them. From an installation point of view this would be easier, a little more costly but not much.

Cheers

Gary

I fitted a windscreen last year (to replace my aero) but haven't bothered with any form of heater / demister.

I tend only to use the car April to October and rarely (or intentionally ??) in the rain - have been looking at some new seats though and heating is an option for them (not cheap mind you) - think I may just tough it out  :suspect:

Go into the Volvo options list and you'll find a heated steering wheel - now that would be welcome.

Heated seats are great, but as a supplement to a heater, not in place of one. Your own body heat will warm the seat after a few minutes anyway, so it's really only for the first few miles. They are fantastic for aching backs!

As for cassettes and 8-tracks - luxury. My first car had a valve radio that took five minutes to warm up and only got medium wave stations. Youngsters today, they don't know they're born.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the input, I'm on a shopping trip to CBS tomorrow, so will look at their compact heater options.

I spoke to Ricky Evans Motorsport re a screen for the narrow body. They said if I send a template they would make a heated screen for around the same cost as the wide body screen below.

http://www.heatedwindscreen.com/acatalog/Westfield.html

Westfield.pngWESTFIELD HEATED WINDSCREEN

£190.00 (Excl VAT at 20%)

Tbh, I think a heated screen is the way to go.. 

But, slightly on topic.. My son has recently fitted a BMW rear window heater to his tin top race car, as a front demister. It's quite  a compact unit, would easily fit under a Westy scuttle, and appears to have a fairly good output.. better than I remember my old Westy windscreen demist system ever being?

Here's one on the bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Genuine-BMW-E36-3-Series-Convertible-Rear-Window-Demister-Fan-Motor-Track/222236457945?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&_trksid=p2050601.c100103.m2451&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37140%26meid%3Df0d4b06df2124851b844f7d61f307416%26pid%3D100103%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D191974516033%26clkid%3D8437505042774767108&_qi=RTM2065553

• Like 1

Go into the Volvo options list and you'll find a heated steering wheel - now that would be welcome.

Heated seats are great, but as a supplement to a heater, not in place of one. Your own body heat will warm the seat after a few minutes anyway, so it's really only for the first few miles. They are fantastic for aching backs!

As for cassettes and 8-tracks - luxury. My first car had a valve radio that took five minutes to warm up and only got medium wave stations. Youngsters today, they don't know they're born.

Now that would be very nice heated steering wheel.  It would beat alternating which hand is between my legs!...