Tyres - current choice?

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Sorry "crash test dummy", but I disagree.

When I discussed tyre choice with the Toyo Motorsport director last year he clearly stated that they were not going to make a soft SG in the R888R, only a medium GG compound, hence the softest tyre for hill climbs would be the old R888 in the SG compound.

I'm aware of that but in the real world I can assure you that the performance is identical. Joy Hoyle and Roger Moran are running R88Rs in GG. Check their times at various venues.

I dont disagree that they are close, I was parked beside joy in the paddock at a recent meeting, and we compared tyres. For me its more how fast the rubber heats up..

In the end you pays your money and takes your choice

Thats a hard one to answer as it depends on many factors, bhp, tyre pressures, damper set up, camber... as its our first year hill climbing, limited budget, we went for a prooven tyre that we hope to get two season out of a set. The 888's suit our car. Without having a set of both to do a straight comparison on the same car then its just about the feel, feedback and hence confidence you get to push hard.

Re-reading everything since the beginning... When Terry was speaking about toyo's soft compound, he meant to say SG, I was speaking also about SG. Sorry, our mistake.

So looks like another set of ao48's it is then

Will ring polley motorsport tomorrow

As long as you don't intend to do any msa events...

"AO48-R (OE Fitments marked LTS in sizes 195/50/15 & 225/45/17 only)"

Extract from msa blue book....

28th of oct at the moment (MSV) st Cadwell

No comment Russ :-)

Might join you, I'm due a crash too....

:d

Christ the pair of you really don't mix well ;-)

• Like 1

If you want some budget trackday tyres Clarke,  try a set of your old friends Nankang, they do NS2R trackday tyres now, I see lots of 7 type cars with them on and they rate them ok.

As for R888R GG, they do last longer than the older 888's SG and have similar grip levels, wet grip is improved quite a bit.

Im currently running Avon ZZrs in medium. I preffered my old Kuhmos, again in Medium