Tyres - current choice?

Cleggy the Spyder Man

Yep another tyre thread :getmecoat:

Needing to replace my ao48's - 205/60/13 rear and 185/60/13 on the front

Is there anything else other then R88r's or the A048's available for mainly track use?

and are the above options marked for road use?

I am sure this has been covered in other threads plenty of times but looking for latest info on what's what!

Thanks in advance

the yoko is fully Road legal a cording to demon twits, don't know about the toyo.

Ive replaced my A048 with the nankang NS-2R but thay only go up to 185 in a 13" really good value and just as good as the yokos on the road but they do a track compound as well 

As you will see from my wscc articles this year, we are using r888's in the sg softer compound in our hill climbs.

I would suggest that for hills and sprints that is the tyre of choice, certainly that's is what most hill climbers are on unless they go to the modified class and run slicks.

For sprints you might be better with the gg medium compound as I think they would hold on longer after several circuits..

Hope this helps

Back in the day the left field choice was ACB10's. Road legal and available in several compounds. They're crossplies rather than radials so camber needs to be backed off a bit so swapping to/from them is not the work of a moment unless the car has speed adjusters and some way of measuring the camber quickly...

The Toyo GG is supersoft and "may" not be o list 1A,1B next year

Hi Terry.

As I´m personally affected, having two sets of toyos GG one of those brand new, would like to know where this information comes from, as from the list of this year those was not even highlighted with any "*" as tyre to be banned from next year. Hence my choice... if is like this I will stop competing next year, as I went to this as a safe choice, that some other competitors, as Panda and Castlecroft have done, before going straightforward to ZZs, that was a risky and unknown bet...

I know at least 3 sprinters out of the speedseries that have swaped from avon to toyo due the "poor" behaviour on the ZZs after comparing my tyres to them tyres. I´m sure they are not the only ones, and again we will have a banch of unhappy people leaving competition... Don´t see why toyos will have to be banned straightforward. In any case I supose that As per the ZZr, toyos will have to be put in quarantine and highlighted during one year as they did for the ZZr in 2015?

Maurici

We not have any definitive information from the MSA about the tyres that will be on list 1B in 2017 but there was a rumour that the EU regs would affect some of the tyres that had got through onto the 2016 list

The Toyo 888 compound gg were mentioned to me by BMTR but that could be because they lost out with the ZZRs and are trying to sell the ZZS instead. We will just have to wait and see what happens in the next few months

• Like 1

Maurici

We not have any definitive information from the MSA about the tyres that will be on list 1B in 2017 but there was a rumour that the EU regs would affect some of the tyres that had got through onto the 2016 list

The Toyo 888 compound gg were mentioned to me by BMTR but that could be because they lost out with the ZZRs and are trying to sell the ZZS instead. We will just have to wait and see what happens in the next few months

If that is going to happen, without any previous advice as they did for ZZr, I will be really really unhappy  :(, however if the information is coming from BMTR, that is basically AVON, I´ll take the rumour as a false untill something real happens... Dont forget that the GG is the real competitor to ZZs this year, and as you have said, they want to sell their new baby.

I am 13" and switched to 185/60/13 all round as the 205 was disproportional more expensive and I didn't notice significant change in handling. 

For autotesting the A048/888's are of the menu, so I run a the Yokohama A539 which work well and are very reasonable in price.

Daniel

Terry, surely the supersoft 888s used to be GGG, the GG were medium/hard, and the SG were soft. I thought the GGG had been discontinued. However I may be out of date as it is some years since I used the 888s. 

Sorry "crash test dummy", but I disagree.

When I discussed tyre choice with the Toyo Motorsport director last year he clearly stated that they were not going to make a soft SG in the R888R, only a medium GG compound, hence the softest tyre for hill climbs would be the old R888 in the SG compound.