Dear Diary: My journey from Xflow to Zetec... Now definitely done!

Quinten

Quick (I hope) question. I've just done my first test flare on a piece of fuel pipe (5/16 copper/nickel aka cunifer/kunifer) and am wondering which of the flares I should be using when I want to connect a piece of flexible R9 hose to the cunifer?. The tool produces male and female (double) flares.

I'd do a partially formed male flare. Doesn't need or probably want to be fully formed or you might be struggling to get the flexible hose over it.

Yeah, thinking about it, a bubble (aka single) flare is probably most suitable. I should get myself a piece of fuel hose and see how easy it is to get it over the flare. Maybe apply a bit of warmth/heat in the hose to make it more flexible?

• Like 1

Another (possibly not so) quick question. My car has an age related plate but no emissions listed on the V5. I need to register the change of engine number and capacity with the DVLA. Has anyone done this recently (the only threads I could find were quite a bit old, and things do sometimes change), and what did they supply the DVLA with? I did not receive a receipt (private sale), but I'm sure if I ask the guy he will knock something up that could be submitted.

Never mind, should have used Google better ;) The answer is that the DVLA would like either

1) a receipt for the replacement engine

or

2) written evidence from the manufacturer

or

3) an inspection report provided for insurance purposes

or

4) written confirmation on headed paper from a garage (if the change took place before you bought the vehicle)

May well opt for option 4 as it may carry a little more weight... the only snag is that I would have to send off the V5 at a time when I will be driving it, rather than sending it off now when the car is on stands in the garage...

Quinten has found a Range Rover V8 fuel pump that mounts inside the fuel tank, it has a built in swirl pot as well as incorporating a VDO fuel level sender. The pumps top plate has both the outlet to the fuel rail and the return rail built in! It literally is a one stop solution for every fuel tank connection except the filler!!

:cry:

Feel so stupid.  Had the fuel pump delivered.  Took one look at my tank and realised that my recollection of the tank size is not quite matching reality.  My tank is 16-18cm high...  the pump is > 40cm tall...  :down:

Anyone with a Mk1 Range Rover Discovery V8 in need of a fuel pump?!?  :getmecoat:

Whoops, well we've probably all been there in some form or another!

Must admit, I wondered why I hadn't heard of anyone using one before, (not in Westfield circles, anyway).

I've still got a plan up my sleeve...  I was looking at this from Webcon and it seems to be just a cylinder with this pump inside. No idea yet what the costs involved will be to create the cylinder, but it would save me from throwing away the fuel pump I already have. Would need to modify my tank to include the return, but that doesn't sound like a major cost....

• Like 1

An Elise/Exige pump assembly might fit. Tank on those isn't very tall. I can measure one up if it helps? Perversely, I'm using an Exige tank in my next project, but the pump assembly from an Alfa 166. The Alfa tank is taller, but the pump assembly has springy sections between top and bottom so it will compress down to fit.

Tank is as follows:

Height 215mm

Depth 225mm

Width 1070mm

There's a corner nibbled off at the top across the width that reduces the capacity a bit. On top of the height there are a few bits that project higher like the burp vent pipework and chamber and the filler neck.

Tank is pretty well baffled as standard but I think a lot of folk spend large amounts of cash on fancy new tanks with even better baffles...

• Like 1

Cheers! I wonder if my 'high' pump can be shortened as the Elise pump looks very similar. All options to explore...