Dear Diary: My journey from Xflow to Zetec... Now definitely done!

Quinten

As I'm now embarking on this new journey in car ownership I'm using this thread to build up confidence and general knowledge

Quick question, with hopefully a quick answer :)

If I wanted to swap my Xflow for a Zetec, and the Zetec has currently a MT75 gearbox with the starter on the driver side, would that give me any (major) issues if I wanted to use my Type 9 with the starter on the passenger side? Other than clearance underneath the exhaust manifold (and heat)? I can re-use my bellhousing and clutch?

• Like 1

My original silvertop came with an mt75 attached and I decided to used a type 9 instead. Had no issues at all.

Just use the clutch release bearing to suit type 9.

As long as the splines are the same on the gearbox primary shaft to the clutch plate, cant see why not.

Ok, do not know (yet) what that means ;) but I will try to find out.

My original silvertop came with an mt75 attached and I decided to used a type 9 instead. Had no issues at all.

Just use the clutch release bearing to suit type 9.

I would re-use (or maybe replace) the clutch release bearing I currently have on my Type 9/Xflow combination.

But with regards to the starter, that is not an issue right? Or could the current Zetec sump be a problem? Seem to recall that Zetecs have left and right hand starter/sump combinations, so I need to make sure that what I am buying is suitable, even if it means buying a new (smaller) starter to fit where my current starter sits

Ah I see.

My sump is a scholar one made from original silvertop sump. Fits either side.

Looks like I am going to be needing a new starter, which may or may not (depending on what replacement I can get) fit the current bellhousing / clear the sump. Do not know what sump it has (other than being baffled), so it may already be suitable. Am meeting the owner tonight, so fingers crossed I can make an informed decision then.

My starter is on driver exhaust side. No issues when swapping from mt75. Used starter that came with mt75 as well

If you find my build thread should be plenty of pics. I'm on hols so must go and sunbathe!

I think you mean 'passenger exhaust side', but other than that, good to revisit those 30 pages again ;) Enjoy the sun!

If you are fitting a Silvertop and using the Westfield exhaust manifold....you are almost certainly going to be asking about starter heatsoak problems shortly after you complete the conversion ;) ....so it might be a good time to pick up a Brise starter for it.

After fitting a Silvertop to replace the Xflow, starter heatsoak was the only real issue that needed sorting. Done to death elsewhere...but FWIW, I found that wrapping manifold & starter AND fitting a Brise was the only effective cure. YMMV of course.

I don't think you'll regret the swap though.

I think you mean 'passenger exhaust side', but other than that, good to revisit those 30 pages again ;) Enjoy the sun!

Haha oops yes

If you are fitting a Silvertop and using the Westfield exhaust manifold....you are almost certainly going to be asking about starter heatsoak problems shortly after you complete the conversion ;) ....so it might be a good time to pick up a Brise starter for it.

After fitting a Silvertop to replace the Xflow, starter heatsoak was the only real issue that needed sorting. Done to death elsewhere...but FWIW, I found that wrapping manifold & starter AND fitting a Brise was the only effective cure. YMMV of course.

I don't think you'll regret the swap though.

Heh, I knew about the starter heat soak already as my first Westie was a Zetec. I don't suppose you have a link to the right starter handy? I'll go through your posts as well once I've stopped grinning (had a lovely test drive with my future engine ;)) :yes:

Pop and see Martin, you can have a look over his car and he'll tell you all you need to know over a cuppa :yes:

Pop and see Martin, you can have a look over his car and he'll tell you all you need to know over a cuppa :yes:

Already meaning to visit him soon (for other reason), but now may need to speed up my visit :yes:

Heh, I knew about the starter heat soak already as my first Westie was a Zetec. I don't suppose you have a link to the right starter handy? I'll go through your posts as well once I've stopped grinning (had a lovely test drive with my future engine ;)) :yes:

Ah, good to be forewarned.  Reading your first post properly(!) I now see your comment about the heat. Unfortunately, I don't have any info handy on the starter - I'll have a look when I get home, probably have the invoice with the paperwork for the car.

Just struck me it must be getting on for 10 years ago that I did the conversion on ours. Wow....or should that be 'GULP'?

• Like 1