Is this safe?

Chester

If you speak to Westfield, I'm sure they will supply you with a chassis plate with your chassis number on it, if you provide a photo of your chassis number and V5.

Contacted Westfield - they need copy of V5 and photo of chassis plate to be able to supply new VIN plate.

About £30 all in.

My buyer from Finland is getting quite serious about buying.

How have other who have sold to overseas buyer dealt with the payment?

I'm thinking cash?

The often recommended advice is: cash, BUT go with the buyer to the bank and pay it into your account, once it's UV checked and credited to your account, you're golden.

So make all arrangements with the buyer along the lines of collection and payment during working hours, Monday to Friday only.

Sold to a buyer from Finland.

Paying cash on a Saturday morning when my bank is open for deposit  :)

He is going to drive to a ferry port, get over to either France or Holland, then drive to Hamburg and get the ferry to Helsinki!!!!!

One question I do have concerns the V5. What do I say has happened to the car?

There is an export option - but I thought that was if I was exported the car.

Do I just fill in the normal selling bit and put an overseas address for the new owner?

Have a read of INS160 (pdf) chapter 3, page 8 "What to do if you are selling your vehicle privately to someone that does not have a GB address".

What to do if you are selling your vehicle privately to someone that does not have a GB address

You should fill in sections 6 and 10 with the new keeper’s name and address. Both you and the new keeper (buyer) must sign and date the declaration in section 8. Give the whole V5C to the new keeper to aid registration abroad.

You should then send a signed letter to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AG giving

the vehicle’s registration number, the make and model of the vehicle, the

date of sale or transfer, and the name and address of the new keeper.

Once we know about the change of keeper, you should receive an acknowledgement letter to confirm that you are no longer responsible for

the vehicle. If you do not receive the letter within 4 weeks, please phone

0300 790 6802. If you are deaf or hard of hearing and have access

to a textphone, phone 0300 123 1279 (this number will not respond to

ordinary phones).

• Like 1

And just as a matter of course, it's always worth snapping a quick picture of the completed document on your phone, just in case. (I do much the same these days with any important document that has to be returned).

I'd snap a couple of shots of the buyer too, under the guise of "for the album".  Handy to have as backup....

• Like 1

I'd snap a couple of shots of the buyer too, under the guise of "for the album". Handy to have as backup....

Yeah, when I sold my old Suzi Jeep, I took a few pics of the two Polish guys as they loaded it onto their trailer, and a few shots of the tow car, including license plate. (First time I'd sold a car through eBay, so was in paranoid mode!)

Thanks for the advice - much appreciated.

The link to the pdf explains it all clearly - I'd tried looking on the DVLA web site but it is one of the most unhelpful sites I have ever used. How did you find that document?

:laugh: sometimes it can be difficult to sort for the wood through the trees. (To mangle a popular saying!)