Is this safe?

Chester

Hi

Got my Westfield for sale at the moment both on here and Autotrader.

Received a call earlier today from someone in Finland.

Main question was if the car was built by Westfield or was it a kit (home) build. If built by Westfield then it can be registered in Finland, if home built then it cannot.

The caller wanted a photo of the chassis plate and registration document.

I said no as I didn't want to give out such information. He then asked if I would send a scan of the V5 that only showed that it is registered as a Westfield i.e. black out name, address, VIN etc.

Can't see any harm in just sending a scan of the V5 that confirms it is a Westfield.

Do you think I'm OK to do this?

Mark

don't see a problem Mark but i would get him to call the factory for confirmation of the build, and not get involved in sending photocopy of docs.

I'd caution against sending any official docs to anyone, certainly at this stage in proceedings.

Neither the VIN no. Or the V5C will identify the car as factory built, only Westfield themselves can confirm that fact.

Thanks for the replies - I'll suggest he contacts the factory direct.

Mark

I sold my westy to a gentleman in Europe he wanted a photo of the V5 and VIN plate, I spoke to him over the phone first to see if he was dedicated and I did eventually sell the car to him, so from my experience not a problem.

I wsold my last car to a young man in Belguim, same thing lots of emails and phone calls to check he was serious, emailed vin and an edited copy of the V5 and the sale went through.

RustyNuts & Steven - thanks for the replies. Makes me feel a bit happier.

I was just on high alert as you hear of quite a few scams with overseas buyers.

Quite right too. Better to check these things and find it's legit than not and discover it isn't!

My potential buyer from Finland wants to know if the car has a plate anywhere on it that says it is a Westfield.

I've had the car for 14 years and have never come across one - I know where the chassis number is but I don't know of any other 'official' marking on the car.

Did such things exist on '90 narrow body cars?

These days they do with the chassis number & gross axle weights on like this:

C9EFACC4-46E2-49A5-BB97-38A835B47C3B_zps

Don't know if they did back then, maybe a question for Westfield.

My potential buyer from Finland wants to know if the car has a plate anywhere on it that says it is a Westfield.

I've had the car for 14 years and have never come across one - I know where the chassis number is but I don't know of any other 'official' marking on the car.

Did such things exist on '90 narrow body cars?

Mine certainly has one, yes. It was usually mounted on the scuttle, drivers side.

icant remember at which point it was given that plate for my car during the build process, but what i do remember is i lost mine at the end of the build. WF sent me another at a price so maybe a quick call to the factory might get you a new one?

My vin plates always came with the chassis kit. (To answer Dom)