What is Quick, Fast and %$*?@!

John K

It's Monday morning so it must be 'Pointless thread time'...

What times for the utterly pointless 0-60 sprint bracket each category?

I would go for:

7.0 to 5.6 is Quick

5.5 to 4.0 is Fast

3.9 to 3.0 is %$*?@!

sub 3.0 is frankly warp speed and makes the Millennium Falcon look tardy...

And Yes, I did set the top limit of Quick to 7.0 so my grotty little ST just makes it in  ;)

I can name five "fast" cars off the top of my head:

BMW M550d xDrive 0-60 in 4.7 seconds

Audi A8 4.2 TDI quattro: 0-60 mph in 4.7 seconds

BMW 335d xDrive: 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds

Audi SQ5 TDI Competition: 0-60 mph in 5.1 seconds

BMW 740d xDrive: 0-60 mph in 5.2 seconds

Oh look...they're all diesels!  And all very sporty. too! :p

• Like 1

Funny how progress has brought those down. Once upon a time, in my own motoring lifespan, sub ten seconds was quick. A lot of desirable "fast" machinery in the day ran in the 8.xx's, with a few rocket ships in the 7.xx's and then a handful of super cars in the 5's or thereabouts.

And back in the 70/80's you had the extra category of "nippy", as in a nippy little hatch etc, and that would manage it in 11 or 12s or even the low teens!!

One question, (thread drift, I know :) ) but vaguely connected! Are there any cars in production now, that simply can't make 60mph?

• Like 1

Believe it or not, you can still buy a new Peel P50 which has a top speed of 30mph, and will set you back a mere £10,399 + VAT.

• Like 1

Still picking myself up off the floor in stunned amazement!

Yep - I am always tempted to use that example when people comment about the price of a new Westfield!

• Like 1

I can name five "fast" cars off the top of my head:

Oh look...they're all diesels!  And all very sporty. too! :p

I am treating Scott's DERV related verbal written annunciations like I'm treating the wood splinters I've had in my palm for 6 weeks...

Ignoring them...

Yep - I am always tempted to use that example when people comment about the price of a new Westfield!

Not a great example, you can only get two people in a Westie and they have very limited luggage space...

But, in a way I now have to thank Scott. Whilst searching Google for "Peel" I was reacquainted with my first true love, a certain Mrs Emma Peel  :love:

I am now in a good place and no amount of DERV related baiting by our Esteemed Leader can spoil my day...

I recall reading a Shelby Cobra road tested in an old edition of Road& Track mag doing 0 -100 - 0 mph  circa 14 secs which I thought was absolutely amazing at the time .

These days its unusual to see any start - stop figures quoted, often wonder how things have moved on with tech advancements since the 60's 

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/1965-shelby-cobra-427-road-test

• Like 1

I recall reading a Shelby Cobra road tested in an old edition of Road& Track mag doing 0 -100 - 0 mph  circa 14 secs which I thought was absolutely amazing at the time .

These days its unusual to see any start - stop figures quoted, often wonder how things have moved on with tech advancements since the 60's 

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/1965-shelby-cobra-427-road-test

Fabulous article... What an amazing vehicle (designed and built about the same time as Concorde, by men with sideburns, pipes and slide rules).

This caught my eye about the original chassis. Shows power is nothing without control  :)

"One staff member recalls a partic­ularly painful day in southern California when he was outrun down a bumpy orange grove lane by an MG 1100. "There I was, with all that Cobra horse­power, and the rear wheels were bouncing and leaping around so badly that I could barely keep the beast on the road, much less catch up to the MG. It was terrible!""

0-100-0 is now down to approx 10 seconds. 

One question, (thread drift, I know :) ) but vaguely connected! Are there any cars in production now, that simply can't make 60mph?

The Renault Twizy is also incapable of posting a 0-60 time. Though you'd have to imagine that until it got to the heady heights of 50mph it would have a reasonable amount of old school supercars worried!

Quick = rat up a drainpipe

Fast = S*** off a shovel

%$*?@! = S*** though a goose.

Hope that clears it up...  :getmecoat: 

• Like 1

Quick = rat up a drainpipe

Fast = S*** off a shovel

%$*?@! = S*** though a goose.

Hope that clears it up...  :getmecoat: 

Always good to get the definitive reply  :)

• Like 1

I am yet to find much quicker than a Land Rover Defender from 0 to 3 mph. Many revs and drop the clutch....