Recommendations for good roads and Sat lunch pub in Chelmsford area

wizardry

Morning all,

As per title recommendations needed for good pubs and driving roads in the Chelmsford, Harlow, Bishops Stortford, Braintree square of the map.

Slightly shocking seeing as I live in Colchester but I never seem to venture that far down / that side of the A12.....

Anything north of the A120 is very good all the way up into Suffolk. Do you have sat nav that can accept Internery (ITN) filles, or just download Trace Your Route Everywhere (TYRE) and pm me your email address and I can forward some of the Essex blat routes used in the past.

One particular good flow of roads is from A12/A414 junction just outside Danbury, take Hammond Road to Boreham, then in Boreham take a right onto the main road then left on Boreham Road (I think) which is a great road that was resurfaced late last year to Gt Leights, once in Gt Leights head up though Braintree to Finchingfield and back via Great Dunmow.

Pete

As a fellow Colchestrian my recommendation for blatting is to head North into Suffolk for the better roads or further still just over the boarder into Norfolk for the quietest roads. There's some lovely drives up through the forest just north of Thetford and the A11.

More locally I can recommend heading out towards Halstead and either then onto Finchingfield or alternatively I have a favourite loop starting at Halstead High Street. From the roundabout near the top of Halstead high street take the A1124 to Gosfield; you'll appreciate the rare Essex hills and the flowing corners. Once you reach the end of the road turn right onto the A1017 and follow this main road and traffic up through Sibble Hedingham. Turn right onto Station Road for Castle Hedingham and go through Castle Hedingham to enjoy the historic high street. From here continue onto the Sudbury Road enjoy a few miles of countryside before the road ends and joins with the A131 at Bulmer Tye.

One of my favourite roads

• Like 1

Not quite in your designated area but try - Afternoon Tea at Wilkins Jam factory, Tiptree,      better than a lunch in my opinion.   Plenty of nice roads around there and Tollesbury.

-or you can try a Fish lunch at The Company Shed West Mersea and again lots of good driving roads south east of Colchester.

Finchingfield gets rammed on summer weekends, other car clubs and motorbike clubs visit the village, still worth a quick visit.

IMG_2492_zps63b4475f.jpg

photobucket.com/user/Manorpics/media/IMG_2497_zpsc9874b9f.jpg.html]IMG_2497_zpsc9874b9f.jpg[/url]

So where are we going this weekend then? A Sunday morning run maybe?

I'll go Mike, we haven't been that busy this year.

• Like 1

So where are we going this weekend then? A Sunday morning run maybe?

It's the Lavenham car show this Sunday. Entry is for pre-booked only but theres normally loads of different cars on display for visitors to drool over too. I'll be there showing the Westfield.

Is it running at all Kev? Could you limp it to mine so we could all work on it?

Is it running at all Kev? Could you limp it to mine so we could all work on it?

I think the last run out completely screwed the dizzy. should have the CPS bracket Tuesday (£50 including VAT and shipping!).

Will get that on, measure up for a trigger wheel and, in the meantime, see if I can get it running in any way, shape or form.

As soon as I'm there, I will let you know and would appreciate the input from there on.

I'm remarkably patient, given I missed most of last summer getting it wrapped ;)