No Alcohol Beers...

John K

I gave up on beer altogether, also decided that alcohol free is like a vegetarian eating veggie bacon and sausage (nothing against veggies btw!), the taste just isn't the same so why bother. I went the spirits route, clearly took some stick from mates when they were necking gallons of beer and I had a glass with ice, slice and an umbrella :p 

Jack D is my tipple now I've matured, find that I drink way less alcohol, lost weight and I actually enjoy a drink.

Fentimanns ginger beer????

• Like 1

Bloke I know had a liver transplant about 5 years ago.  Wasn't alcohol related but, nevertheless, he stuck with Becks Blue afterwards.  Last year his doctor told him to start drinking alcoholic beer instead because the Becks Blue was doing him more harm than proper beer would - IIRC he used the word 'poisoning'.......

I have recently discovered Waitrose 1% alcohol cider which tastes just like the real stuff

Love a good "bloke I know" story on an Internet forum!! :d

• Like 1

Not tried non/low alcohol drink for years - they used to be disgusting

A month or so back I tried some Bavaria and actually thought it was ok considering my past experience - we even got a few more in

If I'm in the situation that requires low alcohol intake i'd rather have a couple of bitter shandies, cheap nasty bitters taste better than nice beers/ales when diluted as well, but can you get a pub to put diet lemonade in it, oh no!

• Like 1

I'm with Yanto on this one; tried the no alcohol beers years ago and didn't like them, so changed to bitter shandies instead - suppose I ought to try the current wave of no alcohol beers, but I actually really like bitter shandy now, the taste really grew on me over the years!

bitter shandy .... that takes me right back to the 80s   :d

Now that we are careening down memory lane, can anybody remember a Lager Top..?

• Like 1

For all those who are saying NA beers aren't the same as the real thing so what's the point...

I agree and I love my beer, proper beer (I'm an ale man myself), from a pump in a glass at the pub.

But I do like a 'drink' after woprk when I'm getting the tea ready.

And no matter what soft alternatives I've tried they are still (and usually too sweet) soft alternatives.

So for me the fact the Blue comes in a bottle, with a proper lever off top and looks lager coloured in the glass adds enough of the atmosphere of a real drink that my silly old brain is fooled (mostly fooled). It's not just the beer, its the whole act around having a beer that I don't get from the softies.

And at the weekend, I'm allowing myself a few sherbets, so its not all doom and gloom...

Doom, doom, my favorite beer is Doombar....

Be strong John, be strong... Don't weaken...

Nope it's no good, thought is in my mind now, next post will be from the pub WiFi...

I did 'Dry January' this year and tried a Becks Blue to be sociable when out for lunch with friends at that time.  Just one bottle and had a scorching headache afterwards.  What ever is in it doesn't agree with me and I tend to agree that 'proper' beer is probably healthier!

Proper beer always used to mean fewer additives in my book, though that was probably influenced by a few Camra member mates in my formative teenage drinking years hauling the group of us round to decent pubs etc.

Now that we are careening down memory lane, can anybody remember a Lager Top..?

ahh yeah Lager top  :d  and  to add to memory lane "Hey.. I'll have a Babycham .. "  :getmecoat: 

Back in the 80s we used to have a driver that used to go over to d'continent, when it was 'exotic' for a truck driver to go across the channel .. he used to bring back these strange tiny bottles of lager with weird names (back then it was strange I admit .. ) and were as strong as hell, we used to split the cases and share them out as mechanics back then, he also got me my first bottle of Absinthe  .. ahh memories as a teenager.

Real Ale - Now theres something I have to confess I just don't get, I have tried a few on the odd recommendation but never enjoyed them ... or the bathroom the following day  :down:

Real ale is the best beer when kept well

How about another one from memory lane - light ale and lager mixed together?

Now real men or should I say boys would have a snake bite and black ..... that put hair on your chest and normally ment at some point in the night you would jettison your kebab ah the happy drunken days of youth when hangovers were nonexistent