New Member & Fuel Sender Unit Question

Andy_R

I have a pair of Dellorto carbs and they appear to be spitting fuel out. 

The sock filter (a single Ramair which I presume goes over the four cones of the two carbs) is wet on one side with what I can only assume is petrol judging from the smell.

Having looked at previous posts and using basic common sense I'm not driving it until it goes in for a check (at the local but recommend garage) this coming Wednesday.

I'm assuming it's a bad float or a valve that's gone west however I know very little about carbs and don't feel very confident in playing with them.

Suggestions of course would be more than welcome AND I'm assuming that not driving with this problem is sensible given the chance of a engine fire?

It's the float valve that is dribbling fuel over the air filter, had exactly the same problem 4 years ago. You'll have to remove the top half of the carb and adjust the little tab by the float axle so it shuts off fuel from the valve.  There are also specific measurements for movement of the float assembly.  Also check the floats don't have holes in them.

If you can't find the measurements, PM me and I'll dig out the bible on Dellortos for you.

I'll take a look at that this weekend and will get back to you when I need access to the bible :-)