New Member & Fuel Sender Unit Question

Andy_R

Hi Everyone

Just got my first Westfield ... yippee ... and wanted to say hi to everyone.

I also have my first question and can't seem to find anything that exactly matches this in the previous posts ... if there is then apologies in advance for bugging you :-)

The previous owner seems to have tried to remove the fuel sender unit (I presume because there is a problem with the fuel level reading on the gauge). However he forgot to tell me about this and after smelling a lot of petrol in my garage I had a look around and noticed it's just loose ... none of the screws (the four short or the long one) is attached to anything! Having looked at this forum I gather the unit is attached to a collar and you are not meant to remove the long screw.

Therefore my question is ... what do you do (other than panic!) if the collar has disappeared into the tank (at least this is what I'm assuming has happened)? Can I buy a new sender unit with one of these collars included and can the old collar be left in the tank?

Finally how easy is it to get hold of the correct sender unit from Westfield? If it's difficult (as in out of stock and a long lead time for delivery) then should I buy another 'brand' and match that to a compatible fuel gauge? 

Thank you in advance and sorry if the above comes under the 'ask a stupid question' category!

Cheers,

Andrew

1990 SE Wide with 1700 Crossflow Engine (or Roary the Racing Car as my son has labelled it!)

Based in Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Welcome and great to see you've bought one with a real engine!

Can't comment on the sender problem, but I don't doubt someone who can will be along soon.

And don't worry, we love being bugged!

Welcome to the club Andrew :ww:

I don't know what senders Westfield were fitting to the tanks in 1990, but they currently use the VDO lever type gauge senders.

Do you know the make of your fuel gauge?

Thank you for the welcome messages.

Mark - the fuel gauge make is VDO.

If the gauge is VDO then the sender is probably one of these

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/vdo-fuel-sender-swing-arm-226801015001

The fitting kits for them can be bought separately

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/vdo-fuel-sender-swing-arm-fitting-kit-n05801432

But I agree with Sycho and would just drain down the tank and fish to old one out through the hole.

Thank you for the advice ... hopefully the piece is in the tank so I'll drain it tomorrow and see what I can find.

If it's not there (although I can't see why not) I'll get a new one from Merlin so thanks again for the help.

Ditto.

I don't know what the missing bit is made of, but assuming it's some kind of plated steel, I wouldn't want it sat submerged in petrol, sloshing about in the tank, and, given the nature of Westfields, periodically getting exposed to condensation/water when the cars laid up over winter.

That's not a bad idea. I have something similar so will use it once the tank is drained ... I'm a tad worried about the fuel and fumes to try it beforehand :-)

:ww:

This thread is meaningless without glorious pictures of Roary the racing car.

That's not a bad idea. I have something similar so will use it once the tank is drained ... I'm a tad worried about the fuel and fumes to try it beforehand :-)

Well, so long as you're tanks not brimmed, and you're working outside, and you're not smoking at the time, I'd try it for 30 seconds or so.  It might save you disturbing all the fuel line joints at the bottom of the tank.

You just need to get it up so you can grab it and try to re-locate the long bolt.

• Like 1

Yeah a magnetic pick up tool will be ideal as Craig says.

No need to drain the tank,and as long as you are not directly above the tank taking in big breaths of the fumes you will be fine :)

Yes, BUT disconnect or isolate the battery first to prevent any unwanted electrical sparks. Can't remember how big the opening is, but if it's big enough and there are no cuts on your hands, and if was me doing it and could see it, I'd probably stick my hand in the tank and grab the loose bit, then throughly wash my hand afterwards, of course.

When I was a kid and helping my dad work on cars, lawn motors, snow blowers, etc oily parts used to get cleaned by soaking them in a huge coffee can full of old petrol. I spent days and days soaked in the stuff and cleaning the parts with an old toothbrush, and it never did me any harm, apart from being ugly, overweight, asthmatic, daft, and a few other ailments...but you can't prove the petrol did it. :t-up:

• Like 1