Megabusa

Wull

Hi everyone, thought I'd pop in and ask for some info regarding the Megabusa as I've decided depending on what feedback that I get from you lot,to get one either shortly or for the start of next season.

What I'm trying to find out is what are the real world performance figures? I've seen so many different numbers it's hard to know what's true or not, so anyone on here got/had one and have first hand experience with acceleration times and the likes?

What are the tuning options for the engine and what power can be achieved,cost etc??

Many thanks

For tuning cost speak to Karl at Extreme engines who does up to 1600cc units but it is not cheap

standard 1300cc is pretty ballistic

You need to consider dry sump or swinging arm sump

If this is your first Westfield, then the standard 1300cc will be fast enough, about 170bhp.    I've only been a passenger in one and it is rapid.

Cheers for the replies guys, one of my reasons for going down this route is I'm a biker, or I should use the term " was " and instead of buying another bike and having it waste away I thought I could kill 2 birds with one stone as I fancy a quick car.....best of both worlds.

Where I live is ideal for a weekend toy, plenty of roads where acceleration and handling is key and top end ain't needed. Anyone know roughly the cost for a new Megabusa built from Westfield? Is 22k right? I don't mind buying 2nd hand and there's a few good ones just now, the missus won't be happy but her opinion don't count :)

For a shade under 10k there's a nice new one for sale on here

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/120110-megablade-ivad-april-2016/

Its a blade rather than a busa tho

That is nice, any idea on acceleration times? Obviously not as quick as the Hayabusa lump but most Megabusa's that I've seen are in the region of 14k so it could be a good starting point.

Dont know tbh, I dont have a bec, why dont you chat to the seller?

the difference between the blade and the busa will be marginal, but at the brutal sorts of speed you wont really notice unless you're doing drag strip times etc.

btw, I came from a Ducati 900 into Westfields, and after a lot of research bought a Mega S2000.  Suffice to say I'm not disappointed... :d

each to their own I guess.

Why don't you go along to your local meet and see if you can have a ride in a few cars.

Cheers for the replies guys, one of my reasons for going down this route is I'm a biker, or I should use the term " was " and instead of buying another bike and having it waste away I thought I could kill 2 birds with one stone as I fancy a quick car.....best of both worlds.

Where I live is ideal for a weekend toy, plenty of roads where acceleration and handling is key and top end ain't needed. Anyone know roughly the cost for a new Megabusa built from Westfield? Is 22k right? I don't mind buying 2nd hand and there's a few good ones just now, the missus won't be happy but her opinion don't count :)

I went from riding bikes all my life to a westy and love it.

Initially, I wanted a BEC too, as this seemed the natural choice for a biker used to rapid acceleration. But ended up with a car engine and don't regret it one bit.

As Geoffrey says, best thing to do is have a try in a few cars and see if they float your boat - most members are happy to oblige.

Most westies are pretty rapid anyway and the way they go around corners is a total hoot!

Car engines are (arguably) much more tractable on the road and you can often sit in 3rd and just boot it as desired - plus you don't notice the added weight of a passenger like you would in a BEC. I would suspect that a BEC would come into it's own on the track though!

PS - add your location to your profile - it will help others know if you are nearby (remember only you can see your 'personal' details, so you need to add the location to make it publicly visible :) )

For a shade under 10k there's a nice new one for sale on here

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/120110-megablade-ivad-april-2016/

Its a blade rather than a busa tho

That's a cracking price for a virtually new car! I know it's only 900cc, but it will shift - and you can always put a bigger engine in next year :)

Acceleration times will be heavily tyre dependant but will be quicker 0-60 than pretty much any other Westfield variant with like for like tyres due to the lower mass and rwd mass bias. The busa engine is definitely one of the best suited engines, and can still match the more recent 1000s under most situations despite the weight penalty.

You could put a CBR 1000RR (fire blade) engine in and get it to super bike spec then without a passenger it WILL be ballistic. The Busa has a lot more torque and  a bit more power but does not eve to around 14000rpm like the blade

As megabusa owner, I went down BEC route as an less deadly alternative to an actual motorbike, never having fallen off a motorbike I knew it would only be a matter of time before I did. (that being said, there is nothing as exhilarating as a motorbike on the road, not even a westfield).

I bought a reasonably priced rolling chassis from pistonheads with a busa engine fitted, required wiring, lights, seats, and IVA'd. I paid £10,500. it cost me around £13.5k all in to get it on the road with a brand new reg, that was including carbon seats, digidash and a few other upgrades.

Performance wise it feels quick'ish up to 60, maybe 3.5secs, not too slow to 100, but a bit laggy after that. (I can get it up to 115mph down Croft straight as reference) I currently drive an F10 M5 though so I think the M5 may have dulled my realization of how quick it actually is. I've taken the car to Croft track a few times now and it feels most at home there. Quicker than most things around the track. I'm currenly upgrading it to a pneumatic shift system and a standalone ecu, I'm looking at modifying the engine too, but the hayabusa's are not cheap to modify. I think I'll be going down the supercharger route eventually, but i'll be looking at £5k for a complete setup I reckon (350bhp).  

Rgds,

Dean

Yeah BECS are a bit lacking above 100mph,but it's all about the acceleration and the 6 speed sequential gear change :)

If you are planning on doing trackday's on tracks with long straights a BEC will be on the limiter down the straights.

Mine running on 15 inch wheel with a 3.38 diff is good around Oulton Park and I don't run out of revs, but I have watched videos of other BECS around there and they are lighting up the shift light in 6th gear in a couple of places.

Also if you plan on big touring/mway miles a BEC is not ideal, as cruising at 70mph mine is doing circa 6500rpm which gets boring tbh.

But if you live on the border of Wales like I do you don't need to go down boring mways to get anywhere,just stick to the A and mainly B roads and a BEC is awesome fun :)

Having said that Kev we had two turbo busas with us around the Alps this year. 2400 miles in under 10 days and they didn't seem to suffer.

• Like 1