Roughly how much does my car weigh?

noggin

I've been having a mini argument with a mate who reckons my Westfield SEIW/Silvertop Zetec weighs about 900kg - I would have thought it was lighter than that. I know all cars are different but anyone got a similar car and weighed it?

All depends on what the complete spec is. 650-700 would be my guess for the average road car

• Like 1

My old 2.0 Silvertop in full trim weighed 615kg. Admittedly this was on 13" wheels and had a couple of lightweight components fitted but I would say 650kg would be a prudent estimate of max weight

• Like 1

Think mine weighed in at 575kg with a full tank. Might even have been less, as also got 565 in the memory bank for something (it's my age). 900kg is possibly what's on the chassis tags but think that relates to something different.

You'd need a very lardy build to get over 650 imho

There is sometimes confusion from the plated weight of a Westfield, which will say 900 kg. in one section. However, that is the maximum gross weight, ie with luggage driver and passenger. It is the max. laden weight which should not be exceeded. Although I've never had one, it is my understanding that a Westie with a V8 Rover engine and corresponding heavy gearbox, with full carpet set and side screens, heater and hood only comes in at around 750 kg., and that's about as heavy as a Westie comes.

I'd be surprised if the O/P's car is much more than 650 kg. even with full screen and hood etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I think my mate had seen the 900kg stamped somewhere. I thought this might be max weight the chassis will handle. I'll assume for now that it's about 650. 

it might well be a bit less, but it's a safe ball park to guess in.

There are really to many variations of the car for there to be true averages, also bear in mind a narrow body car is shorter and narrower(!) than a wide, couple this with say a live axle in the narrow, and they can be quite a bit lighter than an otherwise identical wide bodied car with a Sierra diff.

I've seen relatively standard build Zetec cars, with screens and heaters from about 620/30 kg, but there's probably lighter.

• Like 1