Is Dover the new Gibraltar?

XTR2Turbo

Seeing the news today and the frankly crazy delays at Dover and  we also saw similar leMans weekend I can't believe the delays aren't politically motivated.

After all why additional security checks at Dover when the rest of France's borders don't have any checks

Whatever the reason, for families to be waiting for 12 hours at Dover due to security checks is a disgrace.

I have just cancelled my annual spa trackday. Can't face spending hours in a pointless queue again this year.

Wise move David, the French are masters at creating mountains out of molehills. Suffering myself at the moment with their burocratic crap.

After last year's farce trying to get into France were not going this year that's several thousand euros that not getting spent to help there economy. If enough cancel then they will surely get the msg

Hope it's all back to normal next Sunday, I'm off to Germany.

Hope it's all back to normal next Sunday, I'm off to Germany.

I think it's really time that the ferry companies looked at ditching using any ports in France and went to Ostend instead - even if that means upgrading Ostend to cope with the extra traffic and longer crossing times it'd no doubt be quicker in the long run and hopefully the Belgians wouldn't be so childish as the French (and it's only going to get worse as we move towards full Brexit) :down:

• Like 1

Suspect you may be right- childish is the right word. They've always picked their air traffic strikes to cause maximum disruption, now that seems to have extended to border staffing.

My brother lives in France and it is difficult for us to understand the French as we see it as outsiders. This is more to do with the Unions wanting to show Hollande what they can do and how many staff they need if borders are to be closed and checks put in place.

As it happens the only one that they can demonstrate this with is the Dover crossing, so it is a win win for them. From what I can see the French people cannot give two hoots about us leaving the EU, but their politicians do as they understand the money side we provide they do well out of.

I agree we need to look at alternatives, like Ostend and as far as I am aware there were no issues at Portsmouth or Poole, but rest assured if there were moves to change the Calais monopoly the French workers would create merry hell.

I'm going through the Tunnel so they can't move that, maybe build another at some great expense.      I reckon it was Chris Froome winning the TDF for the third time that upset them.

Always go Portsmouth these days - partly because of our usual intended destination but also due to the potential delays at Dover/Calais

There is something rather nice about sailing out of Portsmouth on the 8.45 ish boat - looking at the naval base and city as you leave - sitting down for a very nice meal in the posh restaurant, some cheesy entertainment and a few beers followed by a good nights sleep in a cabin - roll off the boat at 8.00 ish in either Caen or St Malo after a relaxed breakfast

Very little queuing and all very civilised :d

I justify the extra cost by including it as part of the holiday experience

Clearly the wrong side for Spa or Germany but I would definitely go from Portsmouth if I was going to LeMan

• Like 3

Always go Portsmouth these days - partly because of our usual intended destination but also due to the potential delays at Dover/Calais

There is something rather nice about sailing out of Portsmouth on the 8.45 ish boat - looking at the naval base and city as you leave - sitting down for a very nice meal in the posh restaurant, some cheesy entertainment and a few beers followed by a good nights sleep in a cabin - roll off the boat at 8.00 ish in either Caen or St Malo after a relaxed breakfast

Clearly the wrong side for Spa or Germany but I would definitely go from Portsmouth if I was going to LeMan

I can understand this, the venga-boat from hull to zeebrugge when I went to Amsterdam was ace.  

Couldn't agree more Clegg

We use the Portsmouth - St Malo night crossing for our annual trip to the St-Goueno hill climb, a cracking way to start your trip :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to the party, but having just returned from our annual holiday, we suffered 'only' a 90 minute delay on the Tunnel whereas we read about the 15 hour+ delays on the Ferries. I think it was more a combination of factors that escalated the delays, rather than 'organised'.

Back home now and was  expecting delays, so left early both ways and ended up with earlier trains, surprise, surprise.   Seems to be busy at  both terminals but that's just because of peak holiday traffic.

Almost 2000 miles covered with no stoppages on French & German autobahns but you can guess where we were delayed-------Dartford Crossing, 15mins from home :)

I've heard that the Schengen agreement has been dropped, due to concerns about terrorists, criminals (guns and drugs), illegal immigrants and smuggling (what single market).  Apparently an EU Border Force will be set up.  So expect queues between France and Belgium etc, as it will take ages to get right.

They're either keeping this quiet, or have forgotten it already.