How much do you use yours?

Ben30R

I have to say I get more pleasure upgrading and tinkering with the car than driving . When I go for a blat I have to be in the right mood . However a day in the garage cleaning and improving always gives enjoyment

• Like 1

Going back to the OP, if you've only done 178 miles in a year then I think the answer to your dilema is staring you in the face.

Use your head not your heart.

as the wife says a lot of money to have sat in the garage.

I really wanted to get her supercharged and turn it into a monster

I wish my wife was a supercharged monster as well  :d still not worth selling the westy for though

• Like 4

Off to visit my sister up in Harogate for the weekend tomorrow, and unless it's absolutely lashing it down, I plan on heading up the M6 in the Westfield, to Tebay, before turning off and taking a run over via the Buttertubs pass to Harogate the long way. Just cause I've always fancied doing some of those roads in the Westfield.

And if the weather's not too bad, might go to the classic car show in Ripon on the Sunday.

Then there's Silverstone next weekend...

I used to do the whole stripped out, carpet less, heaterless, aeroscreened, R888 shod, fire breathing XE powered, straight cut gearboxed car thing. And I used the car quite a bit. Then I put a windscreen, heater and weather gear on it and just kept using it more and more, to the point where the SC box and raw ness of the engine were damaging my hearing, then I swapped to the Honda car, which has no pretensions to be anything other than a fast road going Westfield.

• Like 1

The thing is though, Westfields aren't transport, they're a hobby. So as long as they fulfil your requirements as a hobby, be it racing, driving, polishing or tinkering, it doesn't matter, they work for you.

• Like 7

My old car had all the luxuries & only did 4500 miles in 4 years, sold it to do the family thing & always said if build another.

So I did, but went the other way no screen no carpets etc & I've done 4000 miles in 14 months.

Last night I did 100 miles to the Warwikshire meet in the rain! & to be fair I wouldn't go back to a screen.

I have only done 3000 miles in the 6 years since IVA. This is down to work, tinkering, upgrading (because the garage in winter was not pleasant) and generally not wanting to spend a fortune on juice, but and its a big one, I have started to use it more this year as I have made it closer to what I had originally intended it to be and driving it always makes me feel so much better even if it is just a quick blast over the moors on a fine evening. I find myself constantly thinking about trading it in or up to something like an Ultima Evo, but when you get right down to it, the amount of time and effort I have put into it and the fact that I'd lose so much in terms of value over what I have spent thus far means that I will probably still have it in 50 years time. Its a love/hate thing but at the moment I love it.

Luke.

I'd agree dave. Hobby it is.

Problem I have with mine (yes I know it's not worked for ages) is its not really a car you can pop to the shops in. I wouldn't think even hear in oadby leicester it would be a good idea to leave it in the car park at sainsbury. Couple this to having the Z so I can get a softop speed fix easily it can languish.

I think having some decent way to stay dry would make it more use able

Ive been guilty of the 'make everything hard core and use the car less' with my first Wessie.

I've done 1600 miles in 16 months in the new one and really want to do more.

But I'm cleaning it today instead.

I got my car In Feb this year and I've done just over 1000 miles. The car is 19 years old and only has 4500 on the clock! As some one mentioned, a Westie is a hobby. I have two 'hobby vehicles, the other one is a bike, so the fair weather miles get split between the two. The bike is a year old and has only 1100 miles on the clock

But I'm cleaning it today instead.

No, no, no! It's already very clean! Drive it...

No, no, no! It's already very clean! Drive it...

Now it's REALLY clean.

And then I drove it :t-up:

Hard desission. I had a Reliant scimitar for something like 14 years. Day one. it would have made a nice chicken shed except they would have drowned. Over the time I rebuilt everything , did the body work, converted it to diesel and it ended up with a 170 Bhp BMW 2.5 td engine. I used it more than the everyday car for years. It was quick, fun and a raw driving experience.... Family arrived. I bought a campervan which needs to be in the garage or it will dissolve...and ate up my spare time. In the last 2 years I averaged 200 miles. It failed it's mot and it needed more time welding than I'd spent driving it over 2 years... It hert but I sold it. 2 years later I really needed something fun again..... Westfield. If you sell it when life changes you can buy a later one... Maybe something far more exciting .