Electronic Fuel Gauge Regulator

AndrewBClarke

At Stoneleigh this year there was a stand selling a electronic bit of kit that regulated the information from the fuel sensor so that the fuel gauge did not react so extreme when going round the bend. Anybody know who it was?

Thanks

Thanks for that Lee. Looking into it. My gauges are the standard Westfield VDO so making sue it is compatable as the advert states 'suitable for digital dash'. Sent them an e-mail asking.

Andrew

I have since spoken with spiyda.com and not suitable for VDO gauges. It is the man I saw at the Kit Car Show. He does sell a bit of kit that would resolve the issue but it is the 'top of the range' model that does everything that I don't need and starts at £45. Not willing to pay such amount just to sort out a needle moving when I go round a bend! Any other ideas?

Straight lines not so much fun :)

Seems to be a common problem with no easy fix - can't you clever people at Kit Car Electronics knock something up?

Hi, Car Builder Solutions sell an 'electronic fuel gauge matcher' @ £38.40, would be worth talking to them.

Hope this helps.

Gary

• Like 1

I like that CBS matcher - especially the introduction to the fitting instructions 'This guide is a supplement to the instructions for those folks brave enough to try. Sorry there are lots of words. Read through a couple of times, it is worth it.' :)

I don't know if it has an anti-slosh feature though...

I think this would be a neat little project for someone to try with an Arduino and a digital pot

Didn't Fat Bald Bloke (might not be correct name) do this on his car when he rebuilt it?

Has anybody tried this?

www.prs356.co.uk/collections/fuel-system/products/fuel-gauge-needle-damper-12v

To me it looks like it could do the job but I am not an electrical engineer!!

Certainly looks a quality product (!)

Was that a sarcastic comment Russ? Or did you mean it?

After your adventures at Cadwell, I had a go. Chickened out taking the Westy but spent the day in a MX5. Dry start and fully wet by 11. Brilliant fun. Only came of the track once!

Brave in the wet! Let me know if you fancy it again.

And yes, I was being sarcastic ;)

that link looks like this. It's likely just a high value capacitor with some wires soldered on - less than a fiver for the parts. How well it works would depend on the resistance range of your fuel sender - the damping effect reduces as the resistance reduces, so for a VDO fuel gauge with low resistance when empty, the damping may be quite good when full (when it's not really needed) and quite useless when empty (when it is)...

Might be worth a go at making your own though.

• Like 1

Thank you Kit Car Electronics. I will try something else.

Russ - at least I didn't need to call the AA outside Cadwell! Took out the bendy barriers by the grandstand. No damage done. Wet grass is slippery and got a wiggle. Brought to control before the hard barriers thankfully.