Power to weight ratio Mega S 2000 track car

GarethHD

I know all cars are different in terms of what you can do to lighten them, and I realise that this is like asking how long is a piece of string, however I have a friend in France who wants to build a mega s 2000 as a track day car so can anyone tell me what the likely weight might be for a stripped down track car and therefore the power to weight ratio potential?

I've told him that my road going S2000 Westy weighs 644kgs with 1/4 tank of fuel, giving I think a power to weight ratio of 372bhp/tonne, but he didn't seem too impressed!!!

Thanks

There's one in the speed series that I think had got to 500kgs with a monster 285bhp s2000 engine, so that would be a power to weight of 570bhp per tonne!!!

Isn't that a Mickmade car? (Or at least it looks similar to one he did years ago). In which case, it's a long way from a Mega S2000! Wasn't that what he did his original carbon bell housing design for?

Thanks for your replies. 570bhp/t…. really??

There was a chap at the speed series meeting at Snetterton a few weeks ago, not Derek Hodder's car he shares with Gary Bunn, but another chap in a blue S2000 car which was really quick, but I've forgotten his name….any ideas?

Mine (the factory's first demo car) was fairly minimalistic and was about 530kg in road going trim when I first took delivery.  I think if you 'd used 1 carbon seat, a new carbon nosecone and bonnet it would possibly have made 515-520kg at the lightest.

Don't forget to add the driver weight ☺

Often forgotten but makes a significant difference. ....

How heavy us the original posters friend - lightweight clothing option ?

Are you sure? those are low figures even for a car with a much lighter engine and gearbox, like a Duratec/Type 9 and with a few weight saving options, such as gel battery, aeroscreen, lightweight seats.

An S2000 gearbox for example is getting on for 20 kg more than a Type 9! While the engine, though aluminium, is big and complicated and, ahem, heavy! (You can loose around 17 kg from it by swapping to throttle bodies, a lightweight alternator and an electric water pump).

I was under the impression that most of the Mega S2000's were the wrong side of 600 kg, and in full touring/road trim, quite a bit the other side!

• Like 1

A couple of details.

1. A proper track day westfield with an F20 engine and with the right gearbox can be sub 460klgs.

2. The blue ex 'Mickmade' car in road going trim weighed 474klgs with a splash of fuel , water and the right amount of oil, give or take a kilo

That included 52 klgs of rims and tyres.

So I'm told.

• Like 2

Have just checked the paper work from NHM

Mine is 693kg with me in it, so is about 613kg with about 1/4 tank of fuel 

Standard Engine and Gearbox

Carbon Nose 

Carbon Bonnet 

Complete Carbon interior

MSA Roll Bar (not cage)

Just to give you an idea 

A couple of details.

1. A proper track day westfield with an F20 engine and with the right gearbox can be sub 460klgs.

2. The blue ex 'Mickmade' car in road going trim weighed 474klgs with a splash of fuel , water and the right amount of oil, give or take a kilo

That included 52 klgs of rims and tyres.

So I'm told.

That's why I've been very careful to state "Mega S2000", to avoid confusion with your old car! 

Mine (the factory's first demo car) was fairly minimalistic and was about 530kg in road going trim when I first took delivery.  I think if you 'd used 1 carbon seat, a new carbon nosecone and bonnet it would possibly have made 515-520kg at the lightest.

Hi Craig, have you checked? Mine was 647kg at IVA with full tank. If I changed the seats to carbon shells it might come down a bit but nowhere near that and I've junked the water pump etc.

No I haven't tbh, that's what I was told when I bought it IIRC.  I've clearly added a lot to it with windscreen, washer bottle /wiper motors etc since then too.

It's academic to me really as the car has to haul 100kg of lard around too.

No I haven't tbh, that's what I was told when I bought it IIRC. I've clearly added a lot to it with windscreen, washer bottle /wiper motors etc since then too.

It's academic to me really as the car has to haul 100kg of lard around too.

Not wanting to cause any friction but it's probably best not to throw around unconfirmed figures from manufacturers, they tend to be a tad on the unrealistic side.

• Like 1