Petition to remove requirement for front number plate

Greenstreak-Andy D

As has been said, there's better things to start a petition over. I tried to start one to outlaw the wearing of trousers in a manner where they were so low that more than 50% of the wearer's knickers could be seen, but it was rejected. :(

As has been said, there's better things to start a petition over. I tried to start one to outlaw the wearing of trousers in a manner where they were so low that more than 50% of the wearer's knickers could be seen, but it was rejected. :(

I'd have signed that !

I would have signed as well.  Can you also start a petition up for the abolishment of mens 3/4 length trousers?

I'm sure there'll be one to re-instate pounds and ounces when selling fruit and veg soon......

I'm sure there'll be one to re-instate pounds and ounces when selling fruit and veg soon......

Might help... in the skirting place today the guy was talking about a metric piece of wood in its imperial measurements!

My favourite was the time I was in the local market and some old dear who needed curtain tape went to a stall:

"I need some curtain tape please."

"How much do you need?"

"I'm not sure.  It's for my bathroom window."

"How big is the window?"

"Oh, it's an average size."

Market stall owner looks at me with exasperation while I grin at him.

"All right darling, tell you what - I'll sell you two yards of tape, okay?"

"Oh no, that's way too much.  I'll just take six feet please."

• Like 1

If motorcycles don't need them, then why do cars?

Maybe BEC's are exempt! just like motorbikes

They were removed (or the need to display them was abolished) from motorcycles here in 1975 to try and help stop slicing up pedestrians in accidents.

I've no doubt if a reasonable way to add them on the front of bikes could be found, it would be. Till then, they're probably just not regarded as a big enough group to be worth pursueing, as a money raiser.

Ah well, that's dead and buried:

Government responded:

In the interests of road safety and to support law enforcement, the Government will not be changing the legal requirement for vehicles to display front and back number plates.

UK legislation specifies the position at which number plates must be displayed on a vehicle. The main purpose of number plates is to make vehicles readily identifiable for the purpose of law enforcement, road safety and the collection of vehicle excise duty. In addition, members of the public who report incidents to the police are often aided by the presence of both front and rear number plates

Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) is widely used by the police and others for the purpose of detection and prevention of crime and to support road safety. ANPR is critically dependent upon the presence of clear and readable number plates on vehicles.

In the interests of road safety and law enforcement the Government will not be changing the legislative requirement for vehicles to display front number plates.

Department for Transport:

Pretty much as predicted.... would be good to loose front plate on the Westie IMO!

Pretty much as predicted.... would be good to loose front plate on the Westie IMO!

Take it off, snap it in half, keep in the foot well and claim speed bump damage or kerb damage

Still dont get the government argument for front plates when bikes (sensibly) dont have them...

Dave.

• Like 1