TOP GEAR TONIGHT..

Stu Faulkner

Top gear was a program long before them three clowns took it over ... The mistake the new production has made is not making there own program but basically mimicking the clowns using the same format to even how they deliver the words , how can they expect anything other than a slating ??

Shame was hoping for a new program to watch

Extra Gear is much better. More about the cars.

I agree with Kyle, extra gear was a better watch

I miss Jeremy.

Chris' voice was irritating to say the least, he just ran around shouting at waving. His narrating voice was even worse. I did however like Matt and the new celebrity course. 

It was a terrible idea having Chris Evans as the lead for the show, he has as much charisma as a runny poo. I said i'd give the show a chance but I found watching the whole show more of a challenge than an enjoyment. I guess we'll have to hope for more from The Grand Tour. 

I thought it was fine apart from the star in car doing rallycross and bringing mud onto the track which will make it more difficult for the stig to do his thing next time out

The problem for me is that I was already mourning TG when the last bunch had it. For a while, TG was a mostly good show, but then something happened, which as Dave Eastwood has previously pointed out, was about when JC went off the rails and got divorced. The longer the show went on, the more patronising and forced it became in that the set pieces were not believable. Funny stuff that genuinely happened as part of what they were doing stopped, and they forced the comedy elements by engineering things that would never happen, like some rubbish sitcom. The Indian trip was painful to watch, and did anyone actually believe they built a bridge over the wrong river, that the Falklands number plate on the 928 in Argentina was just a coincidence, or that JC's car conveniently broke in two crossing a stream but could still run on just the front half for more than a mile?

I miss the genuineness of TG series 2-8. I certainly don't miss the last few series of TG. I suspect TGT would again insult my intelligence and patronise me, but I won't be watching it. JC has lost the plot and become a caricature of himself these days. I read an interview with him a month or so ago, and in a nutshell, it was a "poor misunderstood me, I've been treated so unfairly" response. No apologies for anything he's done at all, including punching and racially abusing a producer for not having his hot steak at hand, something you or I would end up in the cells for. Everything was "I've lost" - his car, TG, his wife, his house - were all "lost". No mate, they weren't lost. You lose your keys, your wallet, that kind of thing. What JC did was take all that for granted, treated people badly, and urinated it all away. It's always the way with bullies - abuse others and take things for granted, then cry foul and look for sympathy when someone stands up to them. He's (allegedly*) a racist, a misogynist, and a bully - just the sort of person who would try hard to offend enough people in here in order to eventually get banned because he thought it was funny, and then say his right to free speech was being denied.

TGT will probably be entertaining, but I'm not a hypocrite and I won't be helping pay JC's salary of £833,333 per episode to reinforce his belief that he was right and a victim of mistreatment.

* "allegedly" added afterwards at insistence of one member, but I believe plenty of evidence already exists to support it

• Like 1

Well said, Scott, just how I feel. 

As for Chris Evans, I also agree that he is an overpaid irritating man, rather like Clarkson! 

There's a 15 page preview of TG in this months TG magazine.  Some interesting stuff coming up, just hope the delivery is better than the first show.

Top gear, love it or hate it.

We will all still be watching it.

:)

• Like 2

Absolutely shocking effort tonight. In the SUV test, the only detail mentioned about any of the vehicles was engine size - not even power, number of driven wheels, anything! How is this a car show? It was both less fun and less informative than the old show! Don't think I'll be giving it another chance next week.

Agree that it was a very poor "car test" and can't even see why they called it that - but both my other half and I found it an entertaining watch and we both enjoyed it. Really warming to Matt as a presenter and he is the saving grace of that duo as I still think Chris is a bit annoying, but on the whole I thought it was better than last week and I will be tuning in again. It's a entertainment show with cars now, not an entertaining car show.

• Like 2

I thought it was better than last week. Going to stick with it.

I've said for a while now, it's not a car programme, it's an entertainment show that has cars in it.

• Like 1

Finally got round to watching last weeks ep. today......and have deleted the series link on it.

A missed opportunity IMO.  I liked the old show, but towards the end, it was getting more and more silly and less entertaining and was trying my patience. This new version just carries on the downward trend and although I don't mind Joey, CE never was my cup of tea.

In the words of the grumpy Scottish one, 'I'm out'

Just watched it.

Not bad, getting better.