Westfield GT/ Flymo at Silverstone

TVRJAS

If you put side pods on what will you do with the exhaust system

Same as the Mallocks , Exhaust runs inside and pops out through the side pod

Paul

cant use the link. Keep getting Error 404

Terry

the head lights are on at present due to rules for the CNC Heads Championship i have been entering.

My ICON picture is the original on track at Snetterton.

Think its the famous Tony Lanfranchi

No surprise there, I managed to input the wrong web site! it should be http://www.seight.com/westf.html and also http://www.seight.com/tom_green.html which shows the car with headlights and side pods in sprint mode. I suspect just after Tom bought the car.

I did have the pleasure of driving (and breaking) the beast following a rebuild. We change the front springs to make the car actually use its front suspension rather than flex the chassis (which was clearly visible when the car was on the ramp!) and we reduced the negative camber on the rear to improve traction. This proved to be a mistake, as the first spirited sprint start destroyed the diff! we also added bracing within the engine bay to try and overcome the chassis flex. At that time the clutch was replaced too, that must have been 2002/3 ish.

When the car was in Tommos ownership it underwent a full rebuild and the bodywork was replaced in black, with the dog box also being fitted at this time.

I know the car was significantly changed under Kurts' ownership, with the front and rear wishbones being reduced in length and I recall the rear wings being changed too. 

Good Luck getting the Flymo back to GT spec hope it all goes well - Yes it did run sidepods in Brit GT, albeit very modified narrow body type units, there wasn't much left after a lot of cutting - I was lucky enough to watch it at Silverstone - driven by Tony Lanfranchi overtaking Jag XJ220 and lots more expensive machinery (all except the McLaren F1 GT).

It was christened the Flymo after Tom Green took it for a spin across the grass whilst competing at a MIRA sprint meeting way back in about 1999. There should be an SS write up in WSCC vaults from around that time.

Tom purchased the car from its original owner after it was moth-balled following its exclusion from the Brit GT

As to getting it to Silverstone, I really do hope you manage it - However the Brit GT crowd had the car banned under a minor ruling about not having any doors ??!!!!! after a number of other drivers complained its eligibility ???? i.e. the Westfield didn't cost as much as their slower exotica and therefore threw their expensive teddies from their prams - so you may have a little difficulty getting the Brit GT / Silverstone people to recognise its history :(  :(  :angry:

• Like 1

Hi 

Thanks for your input. Wish I had been there.

I was given the same misleading story ( and others about the roof) but I have found out that it was not banned for the 1996 season as the car actually met the,then.current regulations ( which wasn`t the case for some of the posh cars) the car actually ran  in the last race of that year.

The GT officials changed the regs for 1997 which the car did not meet.

It was intended to be altered to meet the new regs but Mike Smith ran out of money but that`s a whole other story

I think it suits the GT bunch to maintain the ban story.

The problem is how to put pressure on the organisers to show that the Westfield owners are behind the car and want to see it at the meeting.

Any ideas?

Thanks again and any ideas about finding some pods or does anyone have moulds.,

John

Might be worth pm'ing Tim : as per link he may have bought some from this previous post

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/85168-westfield-side-pods/

If no good the seller was Brian Stevens who ran the rotary engined rx7 car for a while which has now been transformed into an rx8 powered car by Jonathan its new owner , I had some old bodywork (tub , bonnet and rear wing I think - I no longer have these) off Jonathan but definately no sidepods . 

So try Tim as a start , if not let me know and I will get hold of Brian and Jonathan and see if they can help at all . 

Or another thought might be to have a word with Simon Besant as he managed to collate wings for his v8 beast when he rebuilt it so may have some idea where sidepods could be . 

Aerodynamix are now based in Perth Scotland and have a warehouse full of spares , Neil knows loads of people up that way it may be an idea to drop him an email and ask the question if he doesn't does he know of any . 

Westfield DEFINATELY have no moulds ? , I'm sure Gavin said they still had the wing moulds a while back when I spoke to him and it came up in conversation . 

On this point I am looking for some body parts. I need side pods which I am having a problem sourcing. Westfield no longer have the moulds for the side pods. 

If anyone has any pods, no matter how tatty they are, I would be very happy to buy them. Please let me know.

back in 2014 I bought some narrow body pannels from these chaps http://www.mossmotorsport.co.uk/

Their spaceframe anglia is based on a shortened and widened Westfield SEI. I only bought a scuttle from them, but at the time they also had both the rear wing and a pair of sidepods from the donor car.

Trying all suggestions but no luck yet.

Just sent a mail to Aerodinamix.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

looks like I have found one side pod.

Still looking for a second one.

Any new possibilities?

• 2 years later...

Reviving a bit of an old topic here, but after a little bit of digging around, I've come across some coverage of the 1996 British GT round at Silverstone that the Westfield competed in, with some good shots of it at:

1:16
4:44
6:04

and some pre-season still shots of it before it was yellow.

0:17
5:20

• Like 5