sport 250

Jeremy Farmer

Hi all, I am new to the forum.

I am English,retired and live in México.

I am seriously considering the purchase of a sport 250 kit and have been incontact with the company.

What are your thoughts about this new model? The web site and emails have not revealed much.

My basic questions are bhp/ton, ride height (city here has many speed humps), performance figures etc. Also, I assume the 2.0 ltr ecoboost engine is easy to remap via the cobb v3.

Any details or thoughts will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Jeremy

:ww:

Sorry I cannot answer your questions but you will soon hear from people who can.

Welcome to a great club.

Hi Murrymint,

Just to give some perspective, I enquired about a Caterham 420, but the comany said no!!No dealers here in Mex.

I have the time and resources to construct the 250, but I would welcome the forums thoughts. Afterall its a 30 grand toy!

Cheers

I am not sure you will get too much feedback as it is so new that I am not even aware that anyone has really driven it yet. 

Ground clearance, depending upon ride height set will be around 110 - 120mm

I don't think that the engine will be easy to remap given the complexity of direct injection and variable valve timing etc. I don't know if the ecu the factory offer with the kit is locked

Performance wise if you look at the power and torque curve posted earlier in the year it should be up there as one of the quickest cars that the factory have ever offered.

You will need to check carefully legality / registration process in Mexico of course

Ah.... the complexities of business here in Mex. The old adage 'who you know' still goes a long way.

Many thanks for the ride height info, my understanding was that its the USA st focus engine, which has further potential via the Cobb V3 tool.

Before I part with 25 grand, I just want to gather as much info and perhaps, more importanty, the advice of the peeps here.

Cheers

here

Its my understanding its open source so as you say can be tweaked with the correct tool, but knowledge on remapping is relatively new , especially the 2.0l asbthe 1.6 was aimed at the European market and the 2.0l the US market, but things are changing

Thanks for all the replies. Just got to tie up some loose details (import duty) haha

Would love to have idea of performance figs though, from the experiences here?

Hi Jeremy, what altitude do you live at? Any performance figures will be sea level obviously...

Having seen some of the vicious/massive speed bumps in Mexico cities I would not use the standard ride height set up

Yes... some speed humps are evil. Will def have to choose routes carefully. Re the altitude, I am at roughly 6,000 ft! How much will that effect performance? The tacoma truck seems to perform ok!

Cheers

You'll lose 20% of the naturally aspirated torque and probably 10-20% of the boosted torque/ power. But so will all the cars around you...

The factory car isnt even finished as yet, so there is no real world performance figures. It may have looked finished at Stoneleigh, but it hasnt got the proper diff mounts yet, so although it has run, it hasnt been 'proper run' . Will be interesting how dollops of torque will make it work relative to the S2000 car.