Go Race quick release hub

Greggs

Thanks for info Kevin, as normal i NEED it now..

So i have ordered one directly from Go-race spoke to an extremely help fella there called Danny.

They also sell them already welded to a shaft in my case an allegro one, so went for that option.

The playskool one does look good and thanks for the photo's like a very neat install and the same wheel as mine.

Cheers

Greggs..

I had back surgery last year so I struggle to get out of the car so a QR wheel is now a must - I looked at various options (e.g. cheaper) but decided to hit the button on the 300mm Momo and Playkool QR hub - Yes it was a painful investment but the Momo wheel is ***SO*** much more comfortable to use compared with the standard Westfield and don't regret doing it one bit.

I took the column to a local engineering company to turn down the column and pin and weld the stub on - rather than me dust off the MIG welder, more expensive than Playskool but hey ho.

Hi all.. Im looking for a quick release hub.

Has anyone got a Go-race quick release boss?

http://go-race.co.uk/shop/4582749947/self-aligning-circuit-(gt)-quick-release-steering-hub---weld-on/7380006

Good? Bad? Or indifferent?

Cheers

Greggs

Racetech qr boss and weld slug is cheaper (even from westfield parts!), very good quality

Had the Racetech on my previous car - they're a good quality quick release hub. Trouble is, once you've used the self locating ball bearing type, you neb=ver want to go back to the old splined hubs.

Do either the Playskool or Go race bosses put the wheel closer to the driver?

If so, about how much?

If so, about how much?

As I understand it (and I haven't had mine done yet), you have the column modified so that when the stub is welded on, your wheel is no closer. Unless, of course, you want it to be.

The average mini/Land Rover/BL boss accounts for about 60mm, so if you add a bolt on type quick release, you will be what ever the height of the QR is closer, typically around 60mm again. You can get a low profile boss that's only about 40mm so that helps.

Whereas with a weld on boss, you can either attach to the end of the existing shaft, if you want the wheel closer, or cut the shaft down to leave the wheel at the same distance as before.

If so, about how much?

Have a look at this thread, my standard column needed cutting/extending as well as the welded slug, I guess they all need measuring depending on what column you currently have

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/116635-raceline-welded-qr-boss-to-steering-column/

Northwarks - why not just fit the Momo horn button blank?

I can't get it to fit as there's not enough depth. From what I've seen folks cut a carbon blank and sandwich that between the wheel and boss or a sheet of plastic and then fit a Westfield badge. Like I say jury is out at the mo' it may be a project next winter.

Have a look at this thread, my standard column needed cutting/extending as well as the welded slug, I guess they all need measuring depending on what column you currently have

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/116635-raceline-welded-qr-boss-to-steering-column/

took me ages to get the position right, the standard wheel was in the perfect place for me so didn't want it any closer but clearly theres the limit of the dashboard to consider with the welded slug, for me it was just proud so worked out fine. My issue was the original dashboard hole had been elongated out and frankly butchered (and hidden behind a plastic shroud) so I had to craft a repair plate - Happy how that turned out, took a couple of attempts tho'.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for info Kevin, as normal i NEED it now..

So i have ordered one directly from Go-race spoke to an extremely help fella there called Danny.

They also sell them already welded to a shaft in my case an allegro one, so went for that option.

The playskool one does look good and thanks for the photo's like a very neat install and the same wheel as mine.

Cheers

Greggs..

I received mine through the post today. I bought the weld on one, self aligning type. It looks a good bit of kit. It's replacing a cheap splined one that has developed some side to side slop.

I was looking at this post today and wondered if either of you had any more info or photos to add since getting your QR hubs?

I was looking at this post today and wondered if either of you had any more info or photos to add since getting your QR hubs?

What info/photos do you want?

What info/photos do you want?

Be nice to see some photos of it fitted but perhaps more importantly what do you think of it in terms of feel. Has it showed any signs of wear?

I remember seeing post a while back about these hubs and they weren't met with much confidenc then.

I've only had mine on since April (although I have done over 5k miles and a track day since then - so plenty of use!) and it's absolutely rock solid - no play whatsoever. It's dead easy to get on and off and locks in place very positively.

I really like it.

I can take pics of it if you want - but bear in mind my car uses Sierra donor parts so has a Sierra column.

I've only done about 1000mls - on/off every time i get in/out and it's as crisp as the day it was fitted - totally no slack what so ever. The Momo wheel is in a different league to the standard Westfield one, 300mm is perfect for me, thumbs rest in the right places and its as comfortable as you can get. I'm glad I never went down the suede route and opted for leather - So I'm a happy bunny !