Any chance of a forum only membership?

Dodgey

I think I understand where Dodgey is coming from - he only uses the forum so paying for the rest of the features of the club doesn't make sense as he doesn't use them.

I don't see it like this.  The forum is what it is because of the overall spirit and history of the club.  IMHO the forum would not be what it is if we did not have all the other aspects of the club that mean many members know each other.

Having said that I do see more of the forum moving to the likes of facebook ... in part because it is so much easier to share media.

As has been said:

It's been suggested, discussed and debated in detail and at length in the past.

A unanimous decision not to have a forum only membership level was taken by the committee of the day (of which I was a part) based on a wide variety of factors and considerations, and taking the best interests of the club as a whole Into account.

Based on the clearly positive continuing outcome of this decision, there is no requirement to revisit it at this time.

The club is what it is, and it's up to each individual to decide if what membership offers is attractive to them.

It is not a forum, it is a club, and the forum is part of the club

This. Perfectly summed up. Thanks Gary. :)

• Like 1

As one who has posted nearly 12000 times I have tried to help others and given advice for free....Thats the spirit of this club!

• Like 5

My tuppence worth for what's it's really worth….over the years I've joined various car forums and had some great advise and discussions, but i must say this is by far the most helpful and knowledgeable site I've joined…I did wonder when i looked at joining why does it cost money as a lot of the sites are free, but the most of them is full of guys just posting c..p.  I've bought a lot of stuff on the forum since I've joined so i've probalby got my money back and more.

The mags are good quality and it's down to everyone to make them better by sending in their photos and stories...

It's been said before, it's a club and they all have memberships…. :)

• Like 1

I think I understand where Dodgey is coming from - he only uses the forum so paying for the rest of the features of the club doesn't make sense as he doesn't use them.

''I only get my bins emptied once a week so why does my council tax include fire and rescue?''

....because it is there for when you need it

''but I never use it?''

...... you might need it one day   :) 
  • Like 7

IMO WSCC - Amazing Bargain

I've had membership of many clubs ever the years.

This cheapest and by far best value.

Although ultimately it's cost me a fortune....

in upgrades, track, sprinting, trailer hire etc etc etc

• Like 3

Personally I think our club has it spot on.

I've been a member of s few clubs, mailing lists, groups and forums over the years and this one is right up there as an example of how to do it right.

I think that having a reasonable fee also makes the forum work better as this puts off casual spammers and trolls.

If you are in it for the forum and tech advice then think of the magazines and events as a free bonus. Because it's a bargain with or without the freebies!

I for one am perfectly happy to keep it single tier membership and use this as a means of continuing improvement as has been done over the past few years.

It's 53 pence a week. Price of a bag of crisps. I'm very happy to pay that little to be part of this wonderful club.

• Like 1

''I only get my bins emptied once a week so why does my council tax include fire and rescue?''

....because it is there for when you need it

''but I never use it?''

...... you might need it one day :)

I wasn't saying I agree, but saying I understood the reasoning.

The council tax extension works though - I don't use libraries so why should I pay for them? So the council make a tier of council tax where you pay a bit less and can't use a library. How much would be saved? Not enough to make it worth doing I suspect.

• Like 1

I suppose it depends on how you look on the membership fee. If you simply look on it as a fee for using the online forum (as the O.P. clearly does) then it is hard to justify. But what that fails to understand is that the forum exists for the benefit of the members of this Club, not the world at large, although the "world at large" are permitted to access it and read the posts.

What I don't understand is why a member would choose not to take advantage of any of the benefits of membership, other than being able to post on the forum. I can understand that some people might not want the magazine (although I find it very interesting and informative) and many might not want to take part in area activities. But with a car such as a Westfield what would you want to do with it? Blatting is much more fun in company with like minded people in similar cars, and membership gives ready access to suitable trackdays for those so inclined, and competition of various sorts for those so inclined. But even if none of those particularly appeals, what about the insurance benefits? We all need car insurance, and most will need home insurance. The discounts I get for my home and car insurances on 2 tintops, my house and my all risks insurance by using one of the Club's sponsor brokers alone easily pays for my subscription, so to me it is a "no brainer."

And at the moment I don't even have a kitcar to insure! Well, I have part of one, but as it has no wheels, and sits on 4 axle stands, inside a locked integral garage it hardly seems worth taking out separate insurance yet!

Hey it's great no longer being on the committee or a moderator, means I can say exactly what I think, so please bear that in mind.

THIS IS A GREAT CLUB THAT HAS GOT IT SPOT ON  :d  :d  :d  :d

I was around when the Forum was free and all the **** stirrers that paid nothing and were never seen in person came on here and p******** off the real members that went to club events and meets and the Speed Series etc. Since we went paid membership all that crap has gone and this forum has improved beyond measure. There is hardly any moderation any more which proves it's right IMHO  :yes:

We should all ask ourselves, not what can I get out of this club, but what can I put into it. That's where the true fun and friendship's are and I have made many great friends over the years and had a whole lot of fun. Long may it continue.

• Like 4

£27.50 to be a member of a club per annum is very reasonable. The fact that you don't necessarily want to use parts of the package shouldn't mean that ask for a discount. Its like getting an assorted tin of biccies and not liking the ginger nuts. You wouldn't go back to Tesco and ask for some money off. You just enjoy the rest of the package

• Like 3

Notwithstanding technical advice, friendship, banter, club meets etc, any WSCC member who went to Stoneleigh this year came away with T shirts, free teas, coffee and snacks (available elsewhere on site for £2.50 a pop), burger and hot dog for lunch (available at £5.50 a pop each elsewhere on site)  plus beer, delicious lamb roast and free camping in the evening.  I hardly had to spend a bean and at similar events I'd have paid way more than the annual membership fee on the above.

And I get mag, calendar and monthly meets.

If you actually get involved in the Club, the benefits outweigh the cost.  If it is just the technical advice you want, pay for it at your local garage or pour beer into another Westfield owner until he talks. Both could prove more costly.  

Mr Chairman is spot on and I support his line to the hilt.

• Like 4