setup for a go pro - trackday

Greenstreak-Andy D

I'm looking for advice to setup my go-pro for a track day tomorrow

What settings would you recommend for, video resolution; FPS; Field of view etc....

Not been very successful with it to date, last time i used it i was scuba diving and managed to set camera directing too high, so missed all the fish!!

Thanks in advance

Andy

• Like 1

Adam R is the whizz kid on all issue GO Pro

I'd set it on video  1080, 60 fps and medium width.

if you want to get fancy you could have it take a still photo too every x seconds, but personally id just stick with the video.

If you get chance, mount it to the car rather than you / your helmet etc as in my (albeit limited) experience you get much more stable and enjoyable results.

have fun

So 60 fps will stop any video jump? I seem to remember that's what happened last time I tried it when out on our bumpy A and B roads!

Agree, I will just keep it to video!

Thanks for the tips

Calling Adam R.....

Andy

I tend to use 60 fps regularly although tbh 30 fps is also good enough for fast road use.

If you set view to wide you see more but sometimes get slight distortions around edges as stuff rushes past.

Never suffered video "jump" but I do have it mounted securely to roll bar

Thanks Craig, will try 60 fps, see how it goes

1080 resolution

Andy

60 fps should kill most of the "rolling shutter" effect that half the films of car mounted cameras are plagued with. (That sensation of watching the video through shimmering water...) 30 fps isn't usually fast enough to prevent it, not in a high vibration environment like a Westfield.

1080 is great, but will give higher file sizes. 720 is actually enough for the way that many of us go in to use the film footage on-line.

Wide is really wide angle on a Go Pro, great for getting everything in, but cars ahead of you, (or behind if that's where you aim the camera) will look small unless you're really close. So consider the medium setting.

Of course, if you want to angle the camera to film yourself in the cockpit AND see what's happening around you on track, the wide setting is perfect!

Do you have the phone app? Even if you don't use it for stopping and starting the camera, it's fantastic for framing the shot and making sure the camera is seeing exactly what you want it to.

Don't forget to clean the housing every so often, when you come in. There's little more annoying than realising you picked up a blob of crud on the lens section five minutes in and had it there all day.

Thanks Dave, some excellent tips. Will give it a go, if I get anything worth watching I will post it up!

Sun is out, let's hope it stays that way!

Andy

Or if the mic lead isn't quite long enough and the cameras at the back, try putting it in the boot box.

You can experiment with the mic's position side to side too, the closer to exhaust side, the more that dominates and the same if moved more to the induction side!

I bought a Manfrotto clamp and small ball head for my GoPro.

It gives much more stability over standard plastic one and is more virsatile in mounting options (e.g. clamps to windscreen pillar)

A variety of views makes for more interesting viewing

If it is a new GoPro or even a GoPro 3 and you have the app on your phone/tablet then you can see the "view" before starting any recording live on the phone etc. Handy for setting it up. Can also set up all the functions remotely via bluetooth.

Not much good under water though !!!

I use 60fps, 720p and wide angle. 

The phone app is free and you can see whats going on with the go gro

I tried the app and thought is was a waste of time.

Much better control with the smart remote on your wrist, and no messing about with your phone in the car