Brexit

Northwarks

Perhaps we'll get a replay against Iceland too as last night's result didn't really count???

• Like 1

IMHO the only change that could trigger another vote of the people would be if there was a material change of terms put on the table by the EU but I can't see that happening

I dont see why they didn't see this coming . There were clear signals given in the last euro elections when lots of people from all parties and all classes voted UKIP as a protest. They were not racists but just wanted some control and limits imposed bto help our NHS etc.

If we need nurses etc, and they want to come from Poland etc , then fine ,welcome them with open arms.

but if they have no skills that we need or want and are just hijacking a lift on a lorry then send them packing

my own daughter wants to do a season working abroad, but she will get a job there first and travel with sufficient money to cover accommodation etc. Not just rock up - hope for a job , then hold out her hand for money and a house.

Even now the labour party are blaming Corbyn and not realising that although the middle class, wealthy, PC , supporters wanted IN there were many more traditional labour voters (not racist at all) who wanted out.

As for reform from within , David Cameron proved by being sent back home with his tail between his legs and a temporary puncture repair kit in his hand that the EU were having none of it

It seems that alot of our politicians are completely out of touch

All this talk of Norway and Switzerland et al, overlooks the simple fact that they are insignificant little countries in comparison with UK.

Also massively wealthy

Also massively wealthy

and don't run a trade deficit.

And have things that other countries need / want (dodgy bank accounts, oil).

• 1 month later...

Wanted to brig this back to the top for a review (which I may regret).

I was discussing (among other things) science funding with Dombanks who was somewhat down about the whole thing.

I want reaction to the news that Glaxo, following being big doom and gloom mongers and were all for staying in have now done a spectacular volte face by investing in Scotland and committing to developing facilities in County Durham and Hertfordshire. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-36901839

And the Government have promised to fund science, farmers and other projects. Now I am not about to suggest that this will be everything everyone ever wanted, but it's a lot more than simply being abandoned on the horns of Brexit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37060430

I am wondering what else has gone well or not so well since the vote, the value of the pound is obvious although the stock market bounced back stronger than ever. So lets have a post game analysis :oops:

I'm starting to see price rises from many suppliers, as in my industry a lot are US based and affected by the $/£ that said, nothing horrendous as yet.

It might be my imagination, but I'd also say the building side has slowed a little.

A little early for a post game analysis, methinks - we've barely kicked off.

Is anyone actually surprised that the politicians who led the country down this path have bottled it and sculked off now that it comes time to implement it? Anyone see £350m extra go into the NHS every day? Anyone see when the exit process will start, or even how? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

The company I work for manufactures in the Midlands but exports throughout Europe as well, and is seeing sales hit due to the fact that we've had to increase prices to cope with the rising production costs and a poor exchange rate, as we import many components only made in Europe because we're now a nation of call centres. Our expansion plans have been throttled back as well. Profit forecasts are down. Our European based competitors have seen sales rise and couldn't be happier. So yeah, in my experience it's been a roaring success, I'm thrilled beyond words.

I'll also believe government spending on science when I see it in pound notes rather than a press release to calm things. (See £350m extra per day on the NHS.)

We shall see. There's plenty of potential both good and bad. But colour me unimpressed but unsurprised so far.

It was inevitable that there would be a downturn after Brexit vote. The damage done by those determined to run the UK down so that the gravy train of the Eu continued, was to make us look like a third rate country.

Since then it is clear that the other EU countries bluster is just that. The Germans are already starting to wind things back and speak of the importance of the UK to Europe. Obama said we would be the back of the queue, yet there trade department says different. Countries are queuing up to do trade deals with us now.  

Lots of business leaders who said they would look at us differently should we leave, are now investing again. New car sales order books are good, lots of business is stating to grow, but the value of the £ is a problem for importers but to export is good.

Remember we still are paying full whack, so there is no money yet to spend on the NHS but I suspect that in time we can see our position in the world will change and we will be able to fund things properly instead of paying for the rest of the EU to have better than we do.

I love Europe but I hate what the EU became, and unelected bunch of self serving people who cared about nothing or no one but power.

• Like 1

If they ask Sir John Chilcot to write the Article 50 letter to the EU then the exit process can be put back almost indefinitely. :)

• Like 1

How can a cost rise of (say) 10% due to exchange rate increases not mean an actual sales price overseas that's lower than it was in Euros. A material cost rise makes a £100 cost of manufacture item into a £110 manufacturing cost. Add a decent margin and a pre-Brexit effect ticket of £200 could now have a new ticket of £210 (you don't pro rata the £10 by mark-up but accept a lower gross margin) on it but because the pound is weaker the Euro cost is lower than it was. ???  It will cost more on the home market but not as an export.

Sorry if this is a ramble but I got up at 04.30hrs this morning to take my son to Stansted... :zzz:

Switched on companies, like the one I work for, forward bought goods just in case when the exchange rate was fine. Goods coming from China are bought in dollars so when you buy them and Euros it helps to be on the ball.

It will all take time to wash through but Tata Steel have shelved doing anything with Port Talbot as the steel economy has changed, there are many more positive stories than bad, but many still think that somehow the Government will back away from invoking article 50 so it is good to keep giving bad news just in case it helps a cause they support

This is all rather difficult to understand.  Last week, the Bank of England spent £60 billion supporting the pound by "quantative easing".  This increased the pension black hole by £30 billion, and the pound went down 3 cents against the Euro.  Can anyone explain the logic behind this?  They seem to have lost 30,000 times what the Great Train Robbers got away with, and they got 30 years apiece.  Should we have Ronnie Biggs as Chancellor - it could be a lot cheaper.

This is all rather difficult to understand.  Last week, the Bank of England spent £60 billion supporting the pound by "quantative easing".  This increased the pension black hole by £30 billion, and the pound went down 3 cents against the Euro.  Can anyone explain the logic behind this?  They seem to have lost 30,000 times what the Great Train Robbers got away with, and they got 30 years apiece.  Should we have Ronnie Biggs as Chancellor - it could be a lot cheaper.

Especially as Ronnie Biggs is dead! :d