Brexit

Northwarks

So we are month away from what is billed as the most important vote of a generation, I'm getting Brexit overload from both in/out camps to the point I glaze over. We seem to be a grounded bunch on here so whats the view, should we stay in or should we leave? For me the in camp (predictably) forecasts pending doom and misery if we leave the EU - I know its all an unknown but would an exit result in the next recession, falls in house prices and stocks etc? Thoughts anyone ?

I think I'm staying well out of this argument, apart from the fact that my mind is already made up on which way I'll vote, and I can't wait for this all to be over.

• Like 1

David Cameron tired the EU countries to curry favour with other member states before putting forward his demands for change.

The outcome of those demands were pivotal to whether he came back with a recommendation to remain out or leave.

He actually achieved very little for the short term and nothing concrete.

If leaving the safety of the EU means WWIII, a recession, fall in house prices, increase in unemployment, serious damage to the economy, etc. then it was irresponsible of him to offer a referendum in the first place?

I'm with Nige, Mike and Boris on this one.

Politics and religion are private, in saying that whatever happens we will all be in the same boat afterwards and i just hope it isn't as divisive as the Scottish referendum was and continues to be.

without saying which way I'll vote, the one thing I wish they would do is give their supporting rational behind their views. i can'f except the "this will happen" or "that will happen" with the "because" that should follow. 

Trying to think of a Westi analogy it's like saying "Westfields that don't have the suspensions set up professionally will crash" rather than  "Westfields that don't have the suspensions set up professionally will potentially crash because unless you know exactly what you are doing and have the necessary equipment getting the geometry correct will be almost impossible. If some elements are not correct or not compatible with each other there is a good chance that your car may become unstable and if pushed ......"

We are not children who need to be told what to do, we are adults who need to know why.

• Like 2

If the vote is for Exit, one thing is for sure - it will take many many years for the dust to settle, for all the international agreements to be negotiated and for internal regulations redrafted.

Only once these have played out will there be any real understanding of whether we come out of this positively or negatively.

There is bound to be some downturn in the state of our nations during this hiatus.

Noone can possibly know the actual outcome long term so this is why imo everyone is so emotive and we have no detailed why's.

Unfortunately many would not understand anyway, so the outcome would always be in part emotive.

But some more detailed reasonings would cirtainly help my decision.

Politics and religion are private, in saying that whatever happens we will all be in the same boat afterwards and i just hope it isn't as divisive as the Scottish referendum was and continues to be.

I can't agree more - choices are private. I'm just trying to see through the hype and miss-reporting :p

without saying which way I'll vote, the one thing I wish they would do is give their supporting rational behind their views. i can'f except the "this will happen" or "that will happen" with the "because" that should follow. 

Trying to think of a Westi analogy it's like saying "Westfields that don't have the suspensions set up professionally will crash" rather than  "Westfields that don't have the suspensions set up professionally will potentially crash because unless you know exactly what you are doing and have the necessary equipment getting the geometry correct will be almost impossible. If some elements are not correct or not compatible with each other there is a good chance that your car may become unstable and if pushed ......"

We are not children who need to be told what to do, we are adults who need to know why.

And this about sums it up for me, "We're all dooooomed" (a la Dads Army) with no underlying explanation as to why from either camp

Got to love politics and religion .. 

I am on the out camp at the moment but I think with the governments scaremongering tactics they will persuade enough voters to keep us in the EU. Over the coming weeks I expect the government to jump up to another level. 

People are too scared to support Nigel for the fear of being branded a racist supporter, however with Boris also standing in the out camp, they might just stand a chance. 

I used to like Boris and thought he'd be a hilarious prime minister. But it's clear to see he's only on the leave campaign because it's the opposite of Cameron and his best chance gaining Tory leadership. If he wins, Cameron has to step down and Boris will surely be in charge.

A scary thought given some of the rhetoric he's come out with. Would still probably be quite funny though.

The problem with this election, similar to the Scottish referendum, is that unlike a general election, you can almost say what you want without being held accountable to the consequences.

My personal view is that if we vote to leave the initial implication will be negative for the UK and the EU but over a 10 year time period the UK would do better.  The whole EU experiment is in long term economic decline and will survive only for as long as Germany is happy to continue to bail it out.

I actually think that the vote will be much closer than the politicians originally expected.

There are other countries looking at the result closely.  If we vote out there will be a domino effect with atleast 5 other countries probably also wanting out.

I think it is interesting that Boris has said that he is not anti EU but the current terms and it's structure are not right.

My expectation is that as it gets nearer to voting the leave tactics will be more to say that a vote for them is vote for a proper renegotiation.  And of course if we do vote to leave, the countries that remain will want to do everything they can to keep us in or it spells start of the end for the EU.

• Like 2

My view is simple, the common market was a great idea which we signed up for. The EU experiment is failing and we need to be able to have our own control of laws and borders.

As we have the most generous social system in the world it is easy to see why people want to come here from all over the EU where the economies are in taters.

The Government machine has been in overload and everything from the NHS to house prices is going to collapse if we vote out with little fact to back it up.

My brother lives in France and to the French we are stuffed whatever way we vote. Vote out and we will be targeted to put us at a disadvantage, to send a message to others who might want to exit if an example is set by the UK.

If we vote in, they will have a mandate to take what they want and make demands on us that we would be forced to accept.

like the Scottish independence vote the quality of debate has been woeful and to many the only thing that they dislike is all the immigrants, but they miss that many are the very people we would want anyway if we had a choice.

My fear is that there is a very serious problem brewing in the EU with the rise of the far right and history has shown where ordinary people feel ignored by the main stream parties they seek support in areas that are unsavoury.

• Like 1

Politics and religion.............very dodgey subjects. :d  :d

All I will say is that the state of the money market and the state of the stock market affects most of us, probably more than most realise. And one thing that the markets hate is uncertainty. And if you have an interest in a pension fund, or an endowment policy or an ISA or even just you are going to want to buy foreign currency to go on holiday abroad, the outcome of this referendum is going to affect your pocket.