Tow bar

Kevin (Mr T)

Any recommendations for suppliers/installers in the Essex area?

Getting a trailer, Kev?

Getting a trailer, Kev?

Not at the moment Mike, no space to store, but may look at hiring one for track days.

A&S Towbars did a good job for me recently. Good comms and were spot on time.

PF James were a bit cheaper but the fekkers couldn't be bothered to answer e-mails.

• Like 1

I used P F Jones, who I believe are a national company to fit my about 12 months ago. Chap came to the house to fit and I got a good service.  

I always use starmo automotive, either approved and always does a top job at a competitive price - is also mobile.

ebay and fit yourself  save a fortune :d

I can also recommend A&S. Southend bound on A127 after first Basildon turn off

Fitting your self could be a good call, I've fitted a few tow bars and generally they are not too difficult. It's the electrics that can be a bit more troublesome. I guess it depends upon what car you are looking at. What I've done in the past is look at the fitting instructions for the chosen bar and electrics and make a decision based upon that. With my latest one even going for the bespoke wiring it was quite complex and still required a ECU re program, so I decided that all in all it was easier to get someone to do the lot rather do most of it myself and still have to pay to get it completed. (I was also rather busy at the time)

fitted mine on kia sportage  cost about £175 plus wiring kit  which was dearer  but cheaper than £600 dealer price . bar took 30 min max to fit  did not even have to jack car up. wiring took half a day only because you need to remove a lot of trim  but still easy with instructions

• Like 1

AS for me as well, had 4 done by them so far as i' m always changing cars. Just done the present Audi myself and not too bad a job. Detachable is by far the best, saves bruised and grazed shins when you are not using a trailer.

Make sure your car is actually approved for towing first. AS will tell you if it is and they will need to know exactly what model yo have.