Conveyancing

Quinten

Are you sure you are going to have to pay 2 lots of service charges? If a neighbourhood management company transfers its freehold (ie in the common parts of the estate) to another management company, then you pay the new company rather than the old one. The old one cannot charge you for services which it is no longer providing.

I would suggest that you and your neighbours (or as many of them as are willing to join in) get a copy of one of your TP1 doc from the Land Reg., then try and agree on one solicitor to advice you all, and take the letter you have all had, along with one of the TP1s, and get advice. You can then all split the cost of that advice, which won't be too painful for anyone's wallet, if a fair number of you join in!

edited to add: of course all this may be a pile of dog doo, as I used to be one of the "rip-off Barstewards" as one fellow member has described me and my fellow professionals. :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

This is definitely two management companies.

RMG who looks after the security gates/courtyards/etc, and HCA (now TLT) who looks after the public open spaces.

We have paid a charge to RMG since day 1 of moving in (the solicitor did the 1st payment for that as part of the purchase).

We were unaware that the public open spaces were under separate ownership by HCA as they never charged us for the maintenance. Now the HCA transferred ownership to TLT, it is TLT who decided that they are going to charge us for the maintenance.

There is a public information afternoon scheduled by TLT for the 25th (of course it is during the week at times when everyone else is at work!) which I will be making an effort to get to. In the mean time I am trying to ascertain if everyones TP1 is the same with regards to the OSMC part.

One further thought, check with your local planning authority (ie the one to which you pay council tax) and ask them who has to maintain the public open spaces, as the public open space would be provided by the builder only because the council required them to do so as a condition of the granting of planning permission. Maybe, just maybe, the council should be paying for this, or contributing towards it? Probably clutching at straws, but worth asking.