New requirement when joining online

Captain Colonial

Hello all

There's been a long running problem with members either deleting their names and addresses from their profile, leaving their profile blank, or just filling in gibberish, because they erroneously think everyone can see it - they can't, only you can see it, it's secure. :t-up:

The problem is that your profile is where we get the info to post out club mags and calendars. If the info is missing or gobbledegook, that member doesn't get their stuff.

The alternative is that we stop you from being able to alter your profile info, but if you move house, that creates its own problem in that Honourable MemSec would have to do all the address and profile changes when that happens - not ideal.

I have come up with another alternative, which is now in the online registration when someone first joins the community, as follows (click on photo to enlarge):

tick.png

So when you join, you have to tick the box to indicate you've at least read it - I can't force people to understand and comply, however.

As this is now in place, anyone who fills in their personal profile with deliberately invalid info or leaves it blank, and who then afterwards wants their literature posted individually because we couldn't send it out with the rest of the bulk postage, may be charged £3.00 at the absolute discretion of the Membership Secretary.

This is all because MemSec simply does not have the time to chase members for their addresses if the member themselves has been deliberately making their profile into gibberish or erasing it.

(We're much more understanding about people with valid addresses they forgot to update when they moved - we're talking about deliberate obstruction here, not forgetfulness :)

The notice has also shown up in the profiles of existing members, so a good reminder to them as well.

Hope all that is clear, but happy to answer any questions. :)

Could I request that as well as a website name such as "gun plumber" it should be essential that we can see people's real names as it causes crazy confusion when you eventually meet up with someone or like me deal with Speed Series guys who you cant recognise from our own website!

• Like 3

hi terry my name and forum name are both on my car.i suppose i should feel honoured that you remembered my name from a cast of thousands whether for the right or wrong reasons lol

• Like 2