For those campers out there - Sleeping Bags

tolf

Thought this might be useful for anyone who is camping this coming weekend at Stoneleigh (as it might be cold) and those brave souls who camp in the cold.

(Not wanting to teach people to suck eggs, BTW).
I was passed this information many years ago when I was a Scout, and having been a scout leader for over 25 years, it is something I pass on to all my scout group children.

Sleeping bags can be warm or very cold, depending on how you look after them.The bags work by trapping warm air from your body in-between the fibres inside the bag. Your body needs to give off heat in order for the bag to work. This means that if you wrap yourself up in lots of thick layers, and insulate yourself, then the sleeping bag won't be as effective.

Best way to store a sleeping bag is NOT in it's small stuff-sack but in a bin liner, so it is not too compressed. A few days before use, open the bag and give it a really good shake. This will allow the fibres inside to open up and separate, which means that when you use it for the first night, it will actually work properly.

Sleeping bags are ok for a few hours in the stuff sack when transporting to the campsite, and as soon as you arrive, open it up and shake it again.

You get what you pay for with sleeping bags, and if you spend £20 then don't expect it to work very well as the temperature approaches freezing - the cheap bags in Halfords, Argos and camping shops are generally for summer use only, when the temperature does not drop below 16 degrees. Better to spend money on a bag that can handle temps between 0 and 16, which will cover most leisure camping in the UK - if you are feeling flush then go for a RAB bag, but at £200 you need to be a dedicated camper!!

Added info:  Two types of fillings, down and synthetic. Down is more bulky but IMHO they feel much warmer.

A down bag will lose almost all of its insulating properties when wet, and will take a long time to dry out and become effective again. Synthetic bags retain a much higher proportion of their insulating value and, as they absorb much less moisture, will dry out much faster. A good sleeping mat makes a big difference if the ground is cold as you will lose less heat to the ground.

Hope this is information found to be useful :)

BTW if you do get cold, I am not responsible!!!!!

Thanks Ian

• Like 2

Good info, Im off to buy a new one this afternoon as I only have a lightweight one from years ago. Just so happens Im pricing some work next to a Go Outdoors shop so will be popping in.

Usually a good selection at Go Outdoors or better still Cotswolds

This means that if you wrap yourself up in lots of thick layers, and insulate yourself, then the sleeping bag won't be as effective.

So going commando is the best option?

Heard this before and was never 100% convinced - but your explanation sounds logical :-)

Also, thanks for the fluff it up before you go tip!

I have a Snugpak -6ºC one, so hoping it's OK!

Kingster

Depends on how much you feel the cold as no bag will be 100% guaranteed.

T shirt and underwear generally is ok for lots of people I know, it's the thick jumpers and fleeces that restrict the heat out from your body, so the bag does not warm up.

Some good points.

Equally important is a camping mat to insulate from ground, as sleeping bag squashes down where you lie on it and affers little insulation from cold ground.

Cheep self inflation ones at Go Outdoors and Decathlon.

Generally with Sleeping bags etc for similar thermal properties, cheep means heavy/bulky expensive means light/compact.

Only store in bin liner if 110% dry to avoid mould. Ours are hung fully open in wardrobe.

Best IMO are PHD bags! :p

Some good points.

Equally important is a camping mat to insulate from ground, as sleeping bag squashes down where you lie on it and affers little insulation from cold ground.

Yeah - got a ThermaRest and an off the ground camping bed and that's always seemed to work for me in the (not as cold as it is now) past :)

Andy, have a spare camp bed and self inflation mattress you can use too.

• Like 1

Great, Ive picked up my new bag from Go Outdoors, I just need to work out the self inflation pillow now, sounds daft but do I need to pump it in some way?????

I'm going to camp in the z4 .... heated seats :0 baby!

Maybe time to find a hotel and a taxi.... kinda lacking in fundamental camping bits by the looks of it

My tip for what its worth and if you have the room. Bring a duvet, sleep on it not under it and a blanket over the top wont do you any harm. Them's the layers you need, not, as has been said, layers of clothes for you. Quite effective at keeping the cold off the ground and providing some comfort.

A beer coat is also quite good...

• Like 2

I always use a blanket between the matress and tent floor as it helps to keep the cold and also condensation off the floor. 

The biggest difference though is in tent size.  A small tent warms up much quicker with body heat and will retain that heat through the night much better than a larger tent, on the down side though you do roast quicker in the morning when the sun rises.

Normally in these conditions I'd be sleeping in my Rab -20 down bag on the thinnest of thermarests in a 1-man macpac tent but as SHMBO will be joining me again this year we're going for a bit of luxury so opting for a tog 15 duvet and the 3-man TNF with a Thermarest Dreamtime matress.  Lucky I'm not bringing the Westfield :d

I generally find a firm Silent Night mattress with memory foam top layer, 600 count Eygptian cotton sheets, a warm Jacussi bath and a well stocked wine cellar work very well.

Did I mention I live 5 miles from Stoneleigh? :p

• Like 3

Lucky I'm not bringing the Westfield :d

As if you could even find it...