great start to the weekend

Gary Taylor

OH yeah just back from a 2+ hour blat :)

Took the car to work at lunchtime, finished at 4 and never mind going back home, left work and headed up to Grantown on spey over the Dava moor to Forres (had fish n chips) over to Kinloss , back roads to Elgin and home :) managed about 125 miles and swear we were airborne at one point on the moor .........

Left work in lovely sunshine hit some rain at grantown then lovely sunshine over the moor and all the way home

phone died so no pics .... so guess we will have to do it again :) I have to say the dava moor road is one I really love and go back a long time with it can be awesome and it can be treacherous but always fun

After a full on week at work its the PERFECT start to the weekend... happy days

• Like 5

Yep. the Dava road is brilliant! I'm over that way a lot in the Westie and I also cover all that area, including the Cairngorm's for work, so I'm very lucky. All the roads around here are great. Glad you're out enjoying your car. We'll have to meet up sometime. Coffee and cake at Muckrach Lodge, Dulnain Bridge is always good, as is Aroma's at Lossiemouth Golf Club (you were out that way on your run today).

Be seein' ya!

Hi David, yeah been to aroma a couple of times but be warned their cakes are addictive and may have an effect on the cars performance if to many visits, haven't tried Muckrach lodge. would love to meet up at somepoint, maybe get a couple of run outs organised . A lad at work and his dad have just bought a robin hood and are keen to have a couple of runs as well. 

Snowing here this morning though :(

Just thinking out loud but there are quite a few  7's up around here now twixt Aberdeen and Inverness maybe something can be arranged re runs meets etc........

June is going to be busy as Geoffrey (buttercup) is straying north of the border so planning to meet up with them for the " Killin " part would like to have done more but hay ho... and then there is applecross  later on in june. 

That would be great to meet up Gary. I'm planning on doing the "Drive It" day event from Inverness out to Cannich tomorrow and then I'm entered in the Forres classic car show next Sunday, but other than that, we can meet up with a few Se7ens (Westies and other 7-esque types) for a run. I'm also planning on meeting up with Geoffrey's Scottish jaunt, but I'm not sure which days yet (note to Geoffrey - I'll let you know beforehand). I haven't decided about Applecross yet as it's the Le Mans weekend (decisions, decisions!).

Cheers for now. 

Hi David.

Will be good to catch up this year.

The best decision is to forget Le Mans and come with us.   :t-up:  :d

I'll be there for at least part(s) of your trip Geoffrey, so we will get to meet, and I'm looking forward to it. You have a great itinerary planned there. Le Mans weekend is 18th/19th June which clashes with the Clan McWesty Applecross trip. I'm not actually travelling to Le Mans (more's the pity, as I used to go every year before the family came along!). These days, it's just that my son and I are glued to the TV for the whole weekend and get wholly engrossed in the race. It's as though we were there and it's become a ritual now. But then we want to do Applecross too, so something has to give and now I'm confused! I can't make up my mind as to whether I'm indecisive, or not! Is this always what happens when you turn 60?

At least I'll meet up with you and the others at some point(s) on your own trip. I may join Gary on his Killin run.

ok so no snow today :) , sun is out but a wee bit fresh so washed her down and checked her over  and replaced the std roll bar with a "westy FW style " one that I had made, added some stainless stone guards and had some lunch.

Now some of you may or may not know but when I was introduced into this world , it destroyed my dads dream of owning a 7, he had put a deposit down only for mum to inform him a new car would require 3 seats !!!!!. So anyway while I have been building her , it was kept from my dad (no mean feat) and as he now has all sorts of health problems  the rush was on to get completed and him out in her.

So sun shining , car looking spik n span, full tank  we had  a little run down to the coast to surprise dad, mum had him out the back so pulled up in their drive and rang the bell, dad  answered and was gobsmacked , so after a coffee and a million questions mum and me helped him into the car with dad duly buckled and wrapped up, we went for a wee blast, only about 10 miles or so. When we got back mum and me got him out and inside, well that  was the start , he perked up a genuine smile  on his face and an enthusiasm  (not seen in a long time) for something. More coffee and tales from back in the day when mum and him were pre-gary and doing stage rallying, friends with healey 100/4 and 3000's  or with 7's. and then all of a sudden a very timid question..... can we do it again?

answer ...... OF COURSE WE CAN

After dinner I drove home in in the evening sun in a world that seemed ok ... for a wee while, and boy did I enjoy today, about 100 miles or so

Gary

• Like 6

Yeah, mum and  I saw more emotion and stimulation in my dad today than in many years, put a lump in my throat too, when I left Banff I left a very happy couple

Brilliant Gary. That's what life is all about.......helping to put a smile on other's faces, especially our parents. Your Dad will be dreaming tonight of that drive out in your Westy and hopefully it will greatly improve his health. Look after him, and you'll remember these days too!

Hi Gary.

Are you going to post one of your dad coming out to see.

I would love to but the camera was off at that point and we were so caught up in the moment we never even had a picture of him in her ..  so we will put that right next time, as I mentioned earlier it was a very emotional moment and pictures were the last thing any of us thought about on sunday

i was ont phone to mum last night and she said that once I had gone he chatted away all night long about car adventures back in the day, rallying, karting , club runs , in short he was tickled pink by the whole thing all though he did say that he would turn his hearing aid off next time (same side as the exhaust)