Starting the engine for the first time

hawksa

My FW build is progressing well and I am dying to get the engine started. Although the dashboard (and dials) are not fitted yet is there anything stopping me starting the engine if the list below is complete? 

Coolant filled

Oil filled

Fuel

ECU to Engine loom connected

Battery connected

Ignition connected

Thanks,

Simon.  

I'd plug the oil pressure gauge and rev counter in at least! You could carefully lay them on the scuttle while you started it up. At least then you can make sure you've got good oil pressure before running it. (Better to whip the spark plugs out and turn it over on the starter till you see oil pressure start to come up, then you can refit the plugs and fire it up).

• Like 2

Hi Simon, I did the same as you, mostly because I wanted to check that the fuel and coolant connections were sound before adding body panels makes access more difficult.

I only hooked up the oil pressure gauge. Like Dave says I turned the engine over without the plugs to check that the pressure comes up quickly.

Good luck - post some pictures or a video!

• Like 1

Also I would personally not let the engine idle too low initially, as I believe tickover can put more stress on the valve train than say 2-3k revs.

Also I would personally not let the engine idle too low initially, as I believe tickover can put more stress on the valve train than say 2-3k revs.

Agreed Chris, I started my new crate zetec with 285 piper cams and new followers yesterday.  The guidance was 2.5k revs for 20 minutes so the cam followers can bed in

All done,  two  10 minutes sessions and it proved  the cooling system works ok  :yes:

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will plug in the oil pressure gauge and rev counter, disconnect the plugs for initial turn-over and ensure that I idle at 2.5k revs.

I will also attempt a video!

Simon.

Agreed Chris, I started my new crate zetec with 285 piper cams and new followers yesterday.  The guidance was 2.5k revs for 20 minutes so the cam followers can bed in

All done,  two  10 minutes sessions and it proved  the cooling system works ok  :yes:

is this a good idea if the engine is completely new and never run in? do you not run the risk of bore glazing.

I am essentially in the same position having just had a hone, new rings, seals. etc. After talking with other members the other night I sort of thought it was ok to run the engine for a short period to check all of the fluids etc but really when bedding in you should be driving the car without putting too much strain on the engine. on  the road 500ish miles at a rolling road this can be done in a much smaller amount of time.

on a similar vein does turning the car over without the plugs etc run the risk of any adverse affect when the engine is brand new?

I thought that gentle running in will not bed the rings in. Mine isn't being Molly coddled :)

• Like 2

By gentle I meant not redlining from the word go. Just drive it normally try not to labour the engine such as pulling away in 2nd and over the first few hundred miles build it up. Use a running in oil or sae30 mineral oil rather than a 5w30 fully synthetic and change after the right time

Mines got 10w 40 mineral oil in for bedding in. Will be putting the fully synth in this week now I've done about 100 miles. Another 1-200 miles of normal driving then it's on the rollers getting mapped and then thrash as normal.

Mines got 10w 40 mineral oil in for bedding in. Will be putting the fully synth in this week now I've done about 100 miles. Another 1-200 miles of normal driving then it's on the rollers getting mapped and then thrash as normal.M

Mineral Oil for me as well  :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so that was a bit of an anti-climax!

With the plugs out I had good oil pressure so I proceeded with the plugs in but the engine doesn't fire. I suspect that the fuel pump is not pumping. What tells it to pump? Does the fuel sensor on the top of the tank have a polarity?

Any advice for a novice gratefully received.