Want my first Westie, cars or advice appreciated

Josh Lawson

Hi All,

I am currently looking to buy my first westie after 10 years as a biker as I have been told in no uncertain terms that bikes are not child friendly.

I have a 12k budget and looking for something quick and novice friendly (i.e. doesn't need too much work).

I have my eye on a car with a vvc 1.8k Series engine which I am hoping to buy...does any one have any knowledge of this car as I think it is quite rare to have a vvc engine?!

Can't wait to get out there for a blatt!

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Josh

£12k should get you decent specced car.

Depends entirely what you want to do with it as you could get a Megabusa or duratec powered car.

Do not buy the first one you see. Take your time. Go to stoneleigh and look at the vast array that will be on display!

K series of any form is quite rare in a Westfield to be fair. Nice revvy engine though!

Agree with the above...don't buy the first one you see (unless it is fantastic!) as there is so much choice.

My advice would be "condition is everything!".

I'm on my second Westfield and it 'only' has 170odd bhp but because I have fitted all the right suspension bits and had it set up properly I have had pbs at every sprint and hill climb I have taken it to despite it having about 30less bhp, less torque and being approx 30kg heavier than my old red top engines car!

For out and out acceleration you will want north of 200bhp (I find mine doesn't scare me) but sometimes less is more and I like the fact that I've got a nice reliable car that if engine goes pop, its simple to replace and takes away the stress of owning a highly strung engine.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Quick and novice friendly are miles apart. 200hp would be rapid in a car weighing 500-600kg

Just get one which has:

Good cage

LSD

Good engine

Good wheels

Good brakes (arp master cylinder etc)

I have a 300 hp Westy for sale but that would kill you :)

Hi All, thank you.

K series westie bought. 160bhp under the bonnet, and will work on the upgrades to get it above 200.... How did you manage 300??!

He's got a turbocharged Zetec ;):)

Thanks Dave yes it's a zetec turbo built by Bailey performance :)

£7000 though and it's too fast to drive and have fun unless your a bl**** good driver with no fear.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.