Exercise machines - any recommendations..?

John K

Hello Gents,

My waistline is continuing to expand and the recent experience of emptying my attic has demonstrated how out of condition I am.

Unfortunately the MS eating at my spinal cord means I have no balance so my previous calorie burners of cycling, DIY and working on the Westie have sort of stopped.

Any recommendations? And please remember nothing that needs balance, so any suggestions based on skipping will be blown a raspberry at...

I was wondering about a rowing machine...

Have had a Kettler cross trainer for a good few years now. It's got a big hoop you can hang on to so no problem if balance is an issue. Plenty of similar devices on the market. Gives a nice low-impact workout suitable for knackered old joints, but really, if weight is an issue, eating less is realistically the best solution. Not saying some exercise is a bad thing at all, but you are going to have to work damned hard to lose weight just exercising. Doing both is best, eat less, do more.

Can recommend the 5-2 as well. Bear in mind the goal is to make you more healthy, not lose weight, so it's diet with a small D....but, sticking to the 5-2 and being sensible on '5' days means that overall you are far more likely to eat less in any given week...so you end up losing weight as a side effect.

...and good luck.

I recommend a water rower. Good ones are pricey (£600 ish) but hold their value, look good and are quite therapeutic with the sloshing water sound.

Plus you get to sit down which makes it feel less like exercise initially...

If you like cycling a turbo trainer, it holds the back wheel so no balance required.  Then you buy videos from the Sufferfest and we'll suffer  :)

• Like 1

If you like cycling a turbo trainer, it holds the back wheel so no balance required.  Then you buy videos from the Sufferfest and we'll suffer  :)

Had no idea what a "Sufferfest" was, so I Googled it and read this line...

"We motivate you to push further than you thought possible"

And I closed the web page and cleared my history :)

• Like 1

If you liked cycling then i also suggest a turbo trainer, can be as cheap or expensive as you like. Its pretty boring but use a laptop to watch DVDs or hook up with Zwift which is simulated cycling against others.

I screwed my back on a rowing machine from incorrect use so steer clear of them now.

I'd suggest finding an inexpensive gym and an advisor that knows their stuff to help you figure out a program that changes over time so you don't get "used" to it. My physio for my back changed stuff regularly.

I've never been on a piece of home gym equipment that is a patch on the professional stuff. It's cheap for a reason. A bit like nice real carbon fibre or the fake plastic stuff.

I have a mini gym setup in my garage...

Cross trainer

Weights bench

Multigym

Selection of loose weights

Looking at getting a TRX (or cheap knock off) ti install as well.

TRX is a great bit of kit (although some exercises would require balance) but great being able to alter difficulty just by changing angle you use it at.

Part of the hassle of home gyms is having to change weights etc. The TRX allows you to blitz a workout without taking too much time up.

Dave

if it makes you feel better John, I threw up after A Pilates session yesterday! :(

• Like 1

if it makes you feel better John, I threw up after A Pilates session yesterday! :(

I am a small minded and petty individual, so yes that post did make me feel better... Lots  :t-up:

Thanks Russ..!

• Like 1

I'm just going to give up and swell out until the Westie becomes a single seater...

My problem is my MS is heat sensitive and if I raise my core body temp by more than a few degrees I collapse in a heap.

Unfortunately exercise burns fat and by default you get a bit warm.

So really I need to follow CorseChris's advice and eat and drink less.

But I am a weak and despicable wimp and eating and drinking is a great way not to feel depressed cos you have MS.

Until you look at yourself in the mirror and then you get depressed anyway...

I'm just going to learn to be fat and depressed and like it. Is there by chance a web dating site for women looking for fat depressed blokes..? :)

But I do like the idea of the sloshy rowing machine and its very hard to fall of something whilst you are already sat down.

I'm just going to give up and swell out until the Westie becomes a single seater...

My problem is my MS is heat sensitive and if I raise my core body temp by more than a few degrees I collapse in a heap.

Unfortunately exercise burns fat and by default you get a bit warm.

So really I need to follow CorseChris's advice and eat and drink less.

But I am a weak and despicable wimp and eating and drinking is a great way not to feel depressed cos you have MS.

Until you look at yourself in the mirror and then you get depressed anyway...

I'm just going to learn to be fat and depressed and like it. Is there by chance a web dating site for women looking for fat depressed blokes..? :)

But I do like the idea of the sloshy rowing machine and its very hard to fall of something whilst you are already sat down.

Here you go.

http://cuddlyfreeandsingle.co.uk/cfs.php?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=desktop-larger+dating+broad&utm_term=dating%20larger%20ladies

No Geoff... What I want is a website where Blonde Russian supermodel tennis players want to date fat depressed men...

You have managed to approach this from totally the opposite side.

If this is your idea of following instructions, I really hope you didn't self build Buttercup..! :)

• Like 1