Wireless speakers

B.RAD

Help and advice please!

We're looking for some speakers at home, want wireless connection to an ipad and a surface but the speakers themselves can be mains powered. Lots of bluetooth type speakers out there but we want a good depth of sound and the ability to reach a good volume without getting tinny.

Budget up to £100.

Any recommendations?

Thanks! Barny.

I'm in the same position and looking for the same. But I'm also looking at a sound bar to add to the mix. The Bose 10 seems to have arisen to the top of the list with the Panasonic as a sound bar.

There does seem a big quality difference between anything sub £100 and the Bose/sonos around the £160 mark

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/panasonic-sc-htb680ebk-sound-bar-22094662-pdt.html.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/audio-and-headphones/audio/hifi-systems-and-speakers/bose-soundtouch-10-wireless-multi-room-speaker-10137807-pdt.html

Any one any experience with either of these?

From your post sounds like some bookshelf speakers would deliver (assuming you don't require portability)

Look at the WHARFEDALE DS1

A What Hifi award winner.

Currently at slightly over budget £129 in Richer Sounds, where you'll be able to audition.

Sorry, just realised I've 'thead hijacked'

No worries Darrell, same question so not a hijack at all!

Current web research favourite is this one:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/dvd-blu-ray-and-home-cinema/home-cinema-systems-and-sound-bars/jvc-th-wl311b-2-2-wireless-sound-bar-10098280-pdt.html

I'll take a look at the Wharfedale and Creative T30 now, thanks Dave and Stuart.

Liking the Wharfedale Dave :t-up: :t-up:

If we push the budget that far, any other recommendations?

Sonos too expensive Gerry and from what I've read, plays the brand name over quality card. Not that I'm such an audiophile that I'd notice! :d

I read (but did not compare) that Bluetooth for audio used compression which reduces the quality of the audio.

So I bought an apple airport express. It uses wifi and connects into the back of any decent stereo or speakers via L&R Phono leads. Because it wifi there's no loss of quality and it connects easily to iPhone, iPad and iTunes on my laptop. And the range is better too.

relatively cheap too at about £50. And I was free to choose whatever stereo or speakers I wanted.

• Like 1

I don't think there will be much to compete,quality of sound wise, with the WHARFEDALE at that price.

Should have a good depth of sound with good frequency range and seperation. Bass will be plentiful & controlled but not as full or deap as larger speakers.

I'd always recommend auditioning before you buy when spending your hard earned.

• Like 1

Totally depending on your audiophile expectations (I have none as proper rock concerts in my teens, 20 years of shooting without muffs and 15 years of marriage have left me effectively deaf...)

I have just got a cheapo JBL Flip 2 (end of line been replaced with the Flip 3 now) for £35 and it sits on the kitchen shelf. I stream Amazon Music to it from the phone whilst cooking.

Perfectly good enough for Dad dancing round the kitchen... Battery life is poo, but I just leave it plugged in. 

Loud enough to overcome the extractor, but does crack up a bit on full volume. For the cheap end of the market, quite good...

• Like 1

At the cheap end of the market, the £20 Boombar is excellent.  Used on holiday for music/films from the tablet.

There are Bluetooth to 3.5 jackplug converters, which open up the possibilities

Thanks for all the advice guys, got some good additional knowledge from looking at the recommendations. A local club member offered to let me listen to their set up so I popped round, had a brew and made my mind up.

I've gone with the same setup as he has - a Pure Jongo S3X. Ordered this morning and via the miracle that is Amazon Prime, it will be here in a couple of hours. Same day delivery, on a Sunday? Yep.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00O22R77Q?keywords=Pure%20jongo%20s3x&qid=1454257023&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Ticks all the boxes, good sound quality, good bass, fully transportable around the house, connects via wifi and bluetooth and can add a additional speakers as we go.

Thanks again, successful outcome!

• Like 1

Rather than Sonos I went for Panasonic ALL Series, same price as Sonos, roughly but you can get them VERY cheap refurbished (half price) from Panasonic on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-SC-ALL8EB-K-Wireless-Speaker-System-80W-Output-Built-in-WiFi-Black-/321994245936?hash=item4af85a4730:g:vsUAAOSwkNZUgFPe

Got an All 8 and an All 3. Great kit.