Beginner - Where to start...

Underlined

Hi, my son and I have done the Prescott drivers school and the refresher day. This is a perfect way to get in to the sport. The instructors are really helpful, knowledgeable and very friendly. The Prescott school video you and give feedback throughout the day, provide food and drinks all day, and can supply crash helmets if needed. I'm sure the MAC events would be structured the same way.

As a result we are now progressing to compete in the Prescott B licence competition this year...

This is a link to one of my in car Videos i took on the day.

I'm also putting together a running report of our year, from selecting the right car, setting up, safety requirements etc, which I send you if you want to pm me.

Regards

Most of the hill climb venues do drivers schools including Gurston, Shelsley, Prescott and Loton.

I think Prescott is the best because they video your runs and play them back at lunch time with commentary !!

If you are new make yourself known at an event .. especially to another WSCC speed series entrant and they will almost certainly offer to walk the course with you and show you the ropes for signing on and scrutineering etc.

All seat time is good but personally I would suggest airfield handling days rather than track days for learning the limits of your car.

The factory test days are also cheap and fun.

Edit to add that the courses sell out very quick so get your name down now if you want to do one.

Thanks Turbo,

Prescott sounds a good option then. I am planning to get down to see a couple of sprint days and see the setup and what to expect. I'm sure I can find the odd member to pester for some advice whilst I'm there.

Thanks

Hi Underline

You are in the same position as me 5 years ago

Here are my ideas

1) Discuss Sprinting and Hill Climbing with the experienced and knowledgeable competitors in your local area of the club

2) Understand the differences between Sprints and Hill Climbs

3) Decide how many events you would like to do and which venues

4) Buy a venue directory for tips on how to drive the selected events (Hill Climbing & Sprinting "The essential Manual" by Phil Short & Steve Wilkinson) has helped me a lot

5) Decide which training days match your event plan (no point in training on circuits if you intend to do mainly hills and visa versa)

6) Search YouTube for as many videos of the events you plan to do

7) Spend your money carefully

8) Have great enjoyment (and tons of frustration) like we all do!

I hope this helps if you need any more just PM me!

Always happy to help

Look forward to seeing you on the events and the awards do!!

Good Luck

Graham aka Glutey

• Like 1

Hi Graham,

Thanks for he reply. I will get hold of the manual you have recommended for a start. I see that I have a knowledgable area organiser from what I can tell from the forum in Dave Eastwood and I hope to pick his brains at the next area meet.

From my limited experience of the club so far it seems everyone is helpful and I hope to meet a few people that share similar interests with the cars that can maybe help me along the way.

Thanks again for your advice

• Like 1

Yes everyone in our club is great

Opinions do differ of course so do talk to a sufficient cross section of competitors (Novices & Experts) to get the best picture you can

BR

G

fancy a chat we. could meet up, or call me. I was a complete novice, now in season 4 and love it.

cheers john

Thanks Graham.

Hi John. I don't suppose you attend the Cheshire meet at whipping stocks? If not I may take u up on a phone call. I am away with work atm, so hoping to gather info at the meet along with advice on a couple of issues that are bugging me with the westy.

Thanks!

• Like 1

As per the previous part of this thread #2 we have posted our start of a blog ..

http://hillclimberstartersguide.blogspot.co.uk/

There is bound to be lots of guidance and advice out there from different and probably more qualified sources, but this will be our report over the year of our successes, challenges and failures (hopefully not too many).

Hope anybody that it finds it useful, but also amusing.....

Keep a look out for the updates...

My hillclimb/sprint is experience is from 10+ years ago but for me I just got out there enjoyed it and pick up the experence from going to as many meetings I could off the back of years of trackdays , I found the hillclimb driver schools back then (could of changed now) to be more of a day out experence rather than a proper school for the money, having just re-read your post I personally would bin the idea for this year and learn the car on some big open airfield trackdays. Hillclimbs are no place to be learning the limits of your car they punish your for the slightest error.

Thanks Graham.

Hi John. I don't suppose you attend the Cheshire meet at whipping stocks? If not I may take u up on a phone call. I am away with work atm, so hoping to gather info at the meet along with advice on a couple of issues that are bugging me with the westy.

Thanks!

im the ao for Manchester... so dont make whipping stocks that often,where abouts are you? im near the airport.

mobile is 07912 515 570

Just join the westfield speed series and do a few rounds . Blyton is a Saturday/Sunday with a trcakday on the Friday swell and there will be lots of cars and guys to speak to......its also a great track

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. I wasn't looking to dive straight in this year but I could have a go at the odd thing if there are good novice circuits.

• Like 1