FW400

Andrew

Interesting motorcar! Bit pricey even so for 16 years old. However, quite some spec. I looked at the photos before reading the narrative, and did wonder why there was a rod passing from the gear stick back to the rear, along the top of the tunnel. Hewland gearbox explains, obviously it is combined with the diff/cw&p., in the back.

. Hewland gearbox explains, obviously it is combined with the diff/cw&p., in the back.

Not seen that before (sheltered life) - why aren't more people using a transaxle?

Not seen that before (sheltered life) - why aren't more people using a transaxle?

Probably because it would be very expensive, and would require the back of the chassis to be re-engineered?

Wow, that's nice and good spec. I never even new such a thing existed.

hens teeth those and very desirable :t-up:

I wonder how stuffed you are (fixing wise) if you manage to stuff it on a track day?

hens teeth those and very desirable :t-up:

I wonder how stuffed you are (fixing wise) if you manage to stuff it on a track day?

I seem to recall that one of the other owners bought all the tooling etc for them from the factory, so it may not be quite as bad as you might think.

They are an interesting car with the carbon tub, but not sure it's one that is going to appreciate or is even worth that amount. Now if it had a Ferrari badge everthing would of course be different  :d

Why didn't Westfield carry on building these monocoque chassis?   It would have been a natural progression of improving Kit Car technology and certainly put them way ahead of other Kit Car companies, even showing Caterham how it should be done.

I understand the cost will be somewhat more to produce but as with other new stuff the costs will drop, the more that are built and sold.

I was told a tale of a buyer of one of these who bought it in Norfolk and had wrecked it before he crossed Cambridgeshire on his (wet) homeward journey. I really hope it was a myth...

I recognise those seats and custom head pads :yes:  :yes:  ;)  

A lovely car.

David

• Like 1

400 kilo's , probably not.

But close enough to make no never mind,

The original prototype model was well under 400 kilo's but that was built by a very clever chap with a serious attention to detail. :rolleyes:

THE spare wheel was even made out of polyurethane foam. :)

That really was a work of art and its amazing how much body design work was taken off that car and then found its way to successive models.

Very nice :yes:

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.