'77 Honda CB550 Brat style bike build

Valentinik

Thanks Jared.

I thought that, when I was looking for this the conversation went something like this:

Me: What would opinion be on me buying a motorbike?

Wife: No!

Me: ok, Just to let you know, I bought a bike. We're going to collect it next weekend.

Wife: but you can't ride a bike

Me: I don't want to ride it, just rebuild it.

Last week she found out I was going to book my cbt training, it went better than I thought.

• Like 1

Last week she found out I was going to book my cbt training, it went better than I thought.

She doesn't think you're going for Cognitive behavioural therapy does she....

:)

• Like 1

Ask her if she likes traction engines......just to plant a seed.

• Like 1

My oil seal arrived today so I got on with building the engine cases back up.

I got both cases mounted together and the primary installed:

4256EB29-EC84-4CB1-876B-A460D5D845F4_zps

I have also installed the gear shift:

C901D1E7-48C6-469C-A867-91A578E021E6_zps

I can start masking it up now to get ready to paint it. I've also made an aluminium box big enough to to hold the engine to allow me to bake the paint. As I don't know how long it will be before I can run the engine.

Il hopefully be able to get it back in the frame within a few weeks.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Over the weekend I got the engine bits painted and baked in my home made oven.

E728162A-D22E-42D6-87F1-EBC1AE6B043E_zps

97200290-D7F4-4728-AE86-57D6017D95BB_zps

I also collected the remainder of the parts from powdercoat

864F2CCE-E94D-42B5-829E-06D0675047F0_zps

I've also ordered the tyres for the wheels so hopefully will drop the wheels off to be built with new spokes at the weekend.

• Like 2

The tyres and new wheel bearing arrived today. I got on with pressing the bearings in so I can take the wheels to be built up at the weekend.

16A3C0B2-2DB0-48E6-86EA-C4BC29EB61B7_zps

Looks great.

I think I may be having (another?) mid life crisis, but this project looks really interesting, and a nice "scale" compared to car building/restoring...

I'm slightly p****d of course after working my way through some of the bottled real ales I couldn't take to Silverstone, Boardroom surfing on an iPad. Ebay is only a terrifying click away!

• Like 2

Looks great.

I think I may be having (another?) mid life crisis, but this project looks really interesting, and a nice "scale" compared to car building/restoring...

I'm slightly p****d of course after working my way through some of the bottled real ales I couldn't take to Silverstone, Boardroom surfing on an iPad. Ebay is only a terrifying click away!

Me n you both mate!

Loving this Mike and I have two project bikes in the garage!

• Like 1

Thanks both, I took the wheels over to the wheel builders but I wasn't 100% happy with the powder coating on them as there was a few marks/reaction in the powder coating process. So they are going to be stripped and re powder coated for a better finish.

I must say I've really enjoyed the build so far. The more interesting/technical bits are yet to come though as I've decided to remake the wiring loom and go for some more modern components.

Chris, I love the bike, if you decide you ever want to sell it. When I've finished this one, I'd be very interested.

Mike

Chris, I love the bike, if you decide you ever want to sell it. When I've finished this one, I'd be very interested.

Mike

Sorry Mike you'll have to wait (hopefully) a long time as that one stays with me until the end. Built it many years ago in my 20's and will never ever sell it. So ask my kids when I'm gone :)

Really must rebuild it though, as it deserves to be running again. Currently has the head off and is a bit dusty!

• Like 1

Really must get around to putting this back on the road :)

attachicon.gifMoriwaki.jpg

Lorks! That rear Metzeler (or is it an early Michelin Radial?) has to be past it's best by now :oops:

Spent some time over the weekend, getting the forks on and the partially built up engine I'm the frame. I can get on with finishing the engine build off now.

55637C6D-FBB3-403A-A4CA-208B93322F73_zps

704FA4E5-90F4-4DAF-9B50-9F55A48848CF_zps

Mike