Tinted Visor / sun strips

B.RAD

How ironic that helmet manufacturers market tinted visors that apparently aren't MSA legal but are designed for the helmet and carry of the relevant standard labels . Interested to next see an F1 race and see what the drivers are wearing

As soon as you are alowed to wear sunglases... dont see the problem with smoked visors! is a bit confusing, isn't it?

its interesting that the msa says its the min std required . it did some searching last night on that std and its the same for sun glasses.

and and any thing that is sold with a ce or eu std should be a min the same standard or better.and as long as the tint is not more 50% it should pass the std. smoke black seems to be the neutral std like camera filters

and reading between the lines the reason is so colours are not changed to the eye [like flags] so this statement most give that they cant see your eyes  I just don't buy.[lift the visor up in a accident if you want to see my eyes]if they are open :p

Thanks guys, you've reaffirmed my concern with it all, I'm just trying to find proof that the tinted visor conforms to the relevant BS requirements (British Standard, not the other version of BS! :d ) so I can reassure myself I can wear my tinted visor without fear of eviction! It's an genuine OMP one so should be ok.

All of your comments about F1 drivers and such were the same thoughts I had, but I didn't say anything as I could see that only adding fuel to the fire. However if I can prove the visor conforms to MSA regs then I'll happily have the argument.

Hi all

I'm after some advice/guidance on visors in sprinting. I currently have an OMP Grand Prix 7S Hans helmet with two visors, a smoked visor and a clear visor.

At Anglesey, the scrutineers got very iffy with me about my smoked visor, they were overly objective to it and bordered on banning me from the event. The chief scrutineers parting shot was "if I see you with that visor again, you'll be banned from competing". The issue is apparently to do with needing to see the drivers eyes in the event of an accident to ascertain consciousness. I should add that I ran all year with the same visor and it was only the last event of the year that this was raised.

My issue is that I have tried both and only like the smoked visor, the clear visor does nothing to filter sunlight and I find myself squinting or being blinded by the sun, so if I do have to ditch the smoked visor, what do I do? I have very poor vision without my contacts/glasses and a small part of that poor vision is increased sensitivity to bright light. This is detailed within my licence application and on my licence.

So my questions are:

1) are smoked visors illegal or is this just over-zealousness on the scrutineers part?

2) if I have to run with a clear visor, can I wear sunglasses? In which case, why can't I just use a smoked visor?

3) if I can't use a smoked visor or wear sunglasses, what does everyone else do?

I realise this is not the most pressing of issues but it's one that keeps bouncing around my head, so thought I'd seek the guidance of the collective wisdom!

Cheers

Barny

the exact same opinionated idiot told me to remove the tape from the top of my visor. Apparently it's safer to drive while being blinded by the sun than by restricting the top field of view by 10mm
  • Like 3

Look guys just use a clear visor and if needed put some shades on 

Not sure I should get involved in this debate as I too regularly compete with both a tinted visor and sun strip, so I think we all know where I stand on this. ( not been a problem in the two years I've been competing )

However I am very aware that it's a sensitive subject with certain scrut's, so I all always arrive at and event armed with a clear visor and shades just in case it's a " Change that Visor or your not competing" type scenario

• 4 weeks later...

Response from OMP:

Dear Mr. Barny,

first of all I would like to thank you for your interest in our products!! We appreciate it a lot!!

The MSA rule has entered into force since January 2016 and it is valid for the helmet that have been produced starting from January 2016 and so the visor has to have the sticker on the side.

Up to now we have sold visors that have been produced in 2015 and so they don’t need to have the sticker and they can be used also without sticker. Nobody can tell you that you cannot race.

If you need any other information, we are at your disposal.

Thanks and best regards,

Serena

Two things 1) I quite like bring called Mr. Barny! And 2) bless Serena, she's clearly not experienced our MSA scrutineers first hand! :laugh:

Hi Barny,

The Clerk Of The Course has the final say on whether you can get a run or not, so don't assume the scrutineer can stop you from using your visor.

Can you get shady contact lenses?

• Like 1

Ha ha! :laugh: I like the idea of shady contact lenses! Get red ones and see how that goes down - no mr Scrutineer, I haven't been drinking, I'm just possessed!

Take a look at page 2 of 30th edition of WW - that's me using a tinted visor (Bell) compliant with all current MSA regs (still) - never had any problem with the scrutes - I also cut down a club sticker to use as a sun strip to the top of my visor - as I also wear specs on really bright sunny days I also wore my tinted glasses :d

Some scrutes do get bolshy and bossy especially when bored - just keep smiling and thank them for their advice - tell them you address it as soon as you can (lie) and they'll usually go away and annoy someone else :d

• Like 1