Aerosol paint match for Westfield factory colours

McDuff

Hi,    does anyone have a paint match for the bright red colour of factory supplied fibreglass bodywork?

Are there easily sourced equivalent aerosol colours available from Halfords etc?

Thanks.......................JW

Red in particular (the bright one that is), on Westfields, gets affected by the sun, so depending on its age and exposure may have faded/dulled somewhat since it was new. Machine polishing if it's not too bad can bring it back to as new.

But it's worth being aware of as a good colour match to new gel coat won't necessarily be a perfect match to old, and vice versa.

If you don't plan on going over all the old bodywork, then it can be safer to get a paint colour matched and made up into an aerosol for you. There used to be loads of trade suppliers that did this year's ago - one in every big town practically, although time and technology has reduced the numbers, there are still lots of suppliers about though.

As Dave says above, red is very hard to match.

I have a red narrow bodied westfield so lots of years of fading..

Had a local paint supplier match the colour the best we found was a scania colour and it was still a few shades out after i sprayed it.

Unless you go to a body shop i think its a bit trial and error.

Cheers Greggs

My 1991 SE is bright red which I believe is Post Office Red, I recently bought two cycle wings from ebay in PO red and they were a perfect match to the body. I have seen PO red aerosols in Halfords but haven't used one so cannot comment on the match.  

Thanks for all comments.   The reason I ask is because I am painting a couple of air intakes which are separate from the fibreglass body and will be bolted on.  They are plastic.  I will try PO red and let you know how it went.

Cheers....................JW

Might be better to use a contrasting colour.  Over time the gel coat will discolour differently to a new painted surface.