Hello from Hampshire

Nick Mace

Hi

Just checking in to say hi (and to check my account is working properly...).

I've just completed building my FW Special Edition (new factory kit with 2l zetec engine)  :white-westy: and thought it was high time I joined the club.

The build was relatively painless. The main issue was finding a pin hole casting defect in the raceline sump. It was replaced of course but I fitted it myself.  The upside was that I got to use my spanners on the engine a bit more than I had expected!  Time will tell how well I did.

Anyway, IVA passed recently (again, painlessly enough) and I sent the registration paperwork to the DVLA yesterday.  No doubt I'll now have a tedious wait before I can get out on the roads.

I look forward to getting expert input on the issues that I will undoubtedly encounter in the future and hope to meet some of you on the road one day.

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1

Welcome from another member in Hampshire. Doesn't seem to be many of us about down South.

Welcome Nick!!

How long did the build take?

Any pictures?

Welcome from another member in Hampshire. Doesn't seem to be many of us about down South.

Plenty in the north (he said, unhelpfully).  It's the Northern Powerhouse  :laugh:

By contrast Caterham have two areas in Hampshire, three in Kent, three in London and three in Sussex.  North/South divide I shouldn't wonder...

Oh and  :ww:

Plenty in the north (he said, unhelpfully).  It's the Northern Powerhouse  :laugh:

By contrast Caterham have two areas in Hampshire, three in Kent, three in London and three in Sussex.  North/South divide I shouldn't wonder...

Oh and  :ww:

I didn't know there was that divide although I did see from the forums that there are a lot of active members in the North.  I'm glad to be doing my little bit to redress the balance!

Welcome Nick!!

How long did the build take?

Any pictures?

It took just under 1 year.  I collected the kit from the factory on 29 November last year (the day after my 40th birthday and official start of my mid-life crisis) and had it IVA'd on 6 November.  II doubt I will have it registered within the year as I expect that will take the DVLA weeks rather than days.  I'll try to post a few pictures from the build when I'm at home and have figured out how to do it.

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the South where I could get a suspension set up done (it would be mainly for road use)?  I used a string box around the car to do a DIY set up which was OK to pass the giggle test for the IVA, but I really need to get it done properly.

Thanks

Nick

Nick, where in Hants are you? The Hants and Wilts lot meet up in Romsey (also have a separate forum) and could help with recommendations: http://wiltsandhants.proboards.com/

Thanks.  I'm near Basingstoke so Romsey is not too far away.  I don't have access to that forum yet but will certainly try that in due course.  Hopefully I'll also be able to meet up with them at some point and find out what they did to get their suspension set up.

Before I went with the string method, I did find (using the internet) a couple of local racing orientated garages which should be able to help (even if it's just me giving them a set up to, accurately, put on the car) but it's always better to have a recommendation.

The Southern caterham crowd must get theirs done somewhere...

Ok, here are some photos. Before anyone asks, yes, I do have some carpet in the garage (sad) and did not build the car in my sitting room (which would be cool!).

The first photo shows the hole I had in the sump. Tiny, but big enough to dispense oil all over my garage floor.

4DC46434-D031-41CE-AB84-A12D3FB0D1CF_zps

65475566-444C-430F-B619-20F0F920F99F_zps

319716D2-2B13-4901-A153-DC3C826487EE_zps

AB198724-095E-492E-86CD-0AEEAD2C3A31_zps

5F2DF761-F164-4A35-881B-0D17E1A4FEFB_zps

• Like 4