Thinking of a change...

Stevec33

I sold my Westie earler this year and have just started to build an Aeon

http://www.aeonsportscars.com

Picked up the chassis and body last Friday and it's in the garage now.

200 Hp, mid engine, central dirver position and two passenger seets.

Second time I've said this today - if there are no photos, it didn't happen...! :d

• Like 2

If you are finding it a bit 'hard' then get a windscreen and wind deflectors, wrap up warm and get out in it asap.  I promise you that a Westy when the weather is cold is just magic.  I don't have a heater but low sun can be a problem...

• Like 1

Ooomph Dave kick me while i'm down!! Haha

The reason mine is still off road apart from lack of time is I'm correcting loads of 'meh that'll do!' type problems.

When I sell my car it'll be perfect and I'll know what to look for next time - I can spot them a mile off now. They cause the unreliability that ruins Westy ownership.

Stick with it, finish it and use it for any reason - that's my goal at the moment!

Sorry!

To be fair, you see it occasionally in production cars too, they used to call them Friday afternoon cars. (Well maybe not so often now in the age of robots)

This is an interesting topic for me.  I came here this evening looking to start a new one, and found this one started today that was so close to my thoughts in some ways.

I sold my Westy about 3 weeks ago (ish).  I sold it due to ill health and assumed that I could find some alternative that would be acceptable.

I originally bought it for track days, but found I was struggling to really drive it on track (having previously done many track days a few years ago).  The two best drives I had in it were the test drive I gave the nice chap from near Spalding who came to buy it, and a test run I gave it a week before that.  If I hadn't sold it, it would probably still be in the garage and not been driven.

So I have this dilemma, sell it and miss it, or keep it and not drive it.  And I sold it, and I miss it. 

I have test driven a Boxster hoping it would be some sort of replacement, and found that it was enjoyable on some roads, but nothing special on the majority of others.  This was a 2.7, I was going to try a 3.2S today, but Evans Halshaw in Cardiff don't seem to look after the many many cars in their lot well enough to ensure that they are suitable for a test drive, even if you book in advance.

The thing is that the Westfield was special to drive nearly all of the time on most roads (ignoring motorways of course).  Whereas most other cars in this price range (say under 20k) don't seem to have this.  I haven't driven many cars above this price range so can't comment on them.

Back to the Westfield, you just feel the road and your connection to it so intimately (if that makes sense) and that doesn't happen on so many other cars.  It'll be the same in other well built sevens of course (ie other brands are available). 

All this boils down to:

1. I had to sell mine.

2. I can't find anything else that for me replaces it.

Before I bought mine I was looking at many 'sports' cars.

7's are the only ones that really are so different to me - the rest are just cars.

Last year I met a chap who owns a Le Ferrari, a Konnessiggefvfgvgseg, Porsches galore, a GT40, a Zonda and a 320 Caterham. The one he has most fun in he said was the Caterham as it scared him and was so different.

That said a lot to me.

• Like 1

As above, 7s are brilliant. I've seen two friends move to Lotus and regret it. The big thing is you can drive steady in a 7 and still enjoy the drive with friends. Anything else you have to drive fast because you are in a "racing car". Plus the general public love a seven.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your input. I guess looking into getting a screen may be a good idea for winter, quite like the aeroscreen for summer though. But you obviously cant have both easily.

Thanks everyone for your input. I guess looking into getting a screen may be a good idea for winter, quite like the aeroscreen for summer though. But you obviously cant have both easily.

aa composites do a removable aeroscreen that uses same fitting holes as std screen.

Personally I like having the winter as tinkering time and then it's any excuse to get out in the summer!

Must admit my very few chances to drive or ride in an Elise have left me wanting more once I compared it to the Westy. Very harsh ride and too slow really.

My previous Westfield was a aeroscreened car.

This one has windscreen and recently got a half hood and already used it more than my old one despite owning it a year vs 3 years.

With the half hood its actually quite civilised so makes it very usable.

You do lose a bit of the feel of acceleration with the windscreen in my opinion but I've not once considered putting an aeroscreen onto this one.

Ps. I've also wrestled the decision to get an Elise etc which is why I ended up with Westfield with screen etc as gives best of both (anything short of a bonkers elise/exige just felt tame to me)

Cheers,

Dave

(anything short of a bonkers elise/exige just felt tame to me)

Cheers,

Dave

Been in a tuned exige. Felt slow tbh which Is possibly due to being indoors so to speak. Lovely car though!

I have a screen and pillars put to one side in case I fancy the half hood route but for now I love the aeroscreen and helmet combo which feels right - being an ex biker.

Point is, you will need to get a seriously fast (aka expensive) car to have something that "feels" as fast and nimble as one of ours.

Lots to digest up there Steve but the main points I would reinforce are:

Get yourself a proper motorcycle jacket - really extends your season, I would have said more like 9 or 10 months anyway, and we do get the odd dry sunny day in December and Jan.

Aero to windscreen is doable in an hour, I left the washer and wiper mechanism in place, never used it though, the aero diverts most of the weather over my head.

I have been looking at changing to an Elise or Exige, always liked them , but my Westfield is 190 BHP and to get near that power to weight ratio in a lotus I would need almost 300 BHP, which will cost me three or 4 times what my Westfield is worth, and not necessarily be reliable.   I haven't seen anywhere you get as much car for your money as a Westfield.

Those build quality niggles can be a pain,  I have put some hours and pounds in, I get a lot of satisfaction now from looking at the car thinking 'Knowing what to look for - I'd buy that'   If I decide to sell it is going to make me sad.

Another vote for the aero and helmet which keeps your head safe, dry and warm 

I hated the screen when it rained as you could see b******* all

Also had a great Boxster 3.2 S for 18months and it was nice but just not the same as a Westfield driving experience

I find I have to force myself to go out these days - thing is every time I go out I come back buzzing

I think the VX or elise is going to be as close as you are going to get but must admit having been in both I was not all that impressed

When you start getting up to the more powerful/newer elises and then Exiges you start to get away from the fast but on a budget appeal of the Westy

Yup a 300bhp Exige would be great but the thought of smashing a 20-30k plus motor does not appeal

In an ideal world you would have both a westy and a GT car of some sort

Another vote for the aero and helmet which keeps your head safe, dry and warm 

I hated the screen when it rained as you could see b******* all

Horses for courses I suppose!

I have no problem with screen and when raining with hood. New wiper rubbers and RainX on the screen, and visibility is good IMO.

Averaging 3000 miles a year have Been out many times in wet weather, and only had slight issues with misting up twice when it really was the worst British weather could throw.

I'm thinking of going the interchangeable AA composites aeroscreen route for track days.