Guy Martin plus Vulcan on TV

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Guy Martin  :love: is on Channel 4, Sunday 29th November, 7.30pm for 90 minutes, behind the scenes preparing the Vulcan XH558 for her 'farewell to flight' tour. Just to let you know.

Blooming heck Russ, no you blinking well did not mention it. Prepare to be severely interrogated next time I see you.

:love: Guy Martin :love: 

How could you not say, are you not still talking about it? 'Hello, my name is Russ and, Julie, I have met Guy Martin' is the only way to introduce yourself. You lucky dog.

Excellent, must get the Sky + set.

For those that may have forgotten about this.....

It's tonight!

:)

For those that may have forgotten about this.....

It's tonight!

:)

good call I had forgot  :t-up:

Whoa, wow, brilliant. I don't like TV and don't watch much of it, but I have been glued to the set with that one. Made better by the fact I have been sat in the cockpit of a Vulcan this afternoon, so that was good timing.

Guy Martin is a very, very lucky man. 

I was not aware that so many Vulcans had crashed and people died when she was in active service. 

Highlights the risk of running such a complex aircraft

It was a fantastic programme but spoilt by the unnecessary voice of potential doom going on.

What I was astounded to see was how the world changed. Just a few years after the Lancaster they were building the Vulcan, mind bogglingly different ( and a labour government doing it) as he said more than a quantum leap.

Loved the way the lads were balancing the bomb on the crane by sitting on the front, not a hi-vis insight and a design that allowed the pilots to escape but the rest had little chance.

It does seem sad we will never see it fly again when we waste so much money on vacuous projects now. Perhaps if they set their minds to it with modern avionics they could continue to fly it but we would rather give money to idiotic projects in outer Mongolia than to treasure an era when Britain was a great world power and capable of anything we set our minds to.

• Like 1

Only started watching the program but those first sketches of the design had a lot of Horten Ho229 about them. Clear to see how so much of what came after the war was influenced by what was grabbed up by the allies.

Contrast the Vulcan and V bomber projects with what Wilson did to TSR-2.

And chopping up the brand new Nimrods in 2011 now buyin ashed load of Boeings.

Bob :cry:

I was not aware that so many Vulcans had crashed and people died when she was in active service. 

Highlights the risk of running such a complex aircraft

While mooching the web to find information about Vulcan crashes, I came across this website. It's amazing how many aircraft were dropping out of the sky in the 50s and 60s compared with recent years. I'm surprised we didn't run out of Sabres in 1954! (the losses are also listed by aircraft type under "Cross ref by type and serial" .. how many Hunters!!)

http://www.ukserials.com/losses_index.htm