Anyone put winter tyres on the daily yet?

TAFKARM

I'll wait and see how the Quattro performs before that gets any.

Having slid down a snowy hill backwards in an A8 Quattro on summer tyres, I can give you a clue!  --  Winter tyres followed PDQ (after which, no problem).

Having said that, two (A6) Allroads were absolutely fine in the snow on Pirelli Allroad and Conti CrossContact tyres (both standard fitment).

• Like 1

I'm on them (winter tyres, that is) and I've got 4 wheel drive! Mind you, the 4 wheel drive only kicks in when a driving wheel starts to spin.

Some insurance companies get a bit weird about winters.

Was going to get a set when I had the five series, (for obvious reasons!) But when I phone my old insurance company to check, they counted them as a modification, which my particular policy strictly forbade.

Hi,

If anyone has any issues with insurance at all for winter tyres then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only too pleased to help.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

Had them on the 5-series, but doubt I'll bother with the Subaru. Both my Imprezas have been fine on Bridgestone RE050s all year round in previous winters :)

I don't think that will be an issue for her Dave

modified_mini.jpg

OMG the things you see when you don't have a gun!!!!

I fitted the winters about two weeks ago once the temp started getting down towards the 7 deg C and less. thankfully I had them on last night......

Just ordered some for the wife's mini countryman cooper sd last night after a very disappointing performance in our snow.

Mine will go on the Subaru when I get it back from garage again.

Interestingly, on summer tyres my legacy absolutely destroys the mini in the snow.

Dave

• Like 1

Never had winter tyres on any of my cars but have been very tempted of late.

My main problem is that I lease my cars so it would get expensive as i usuly dont have the same car twice.

However I have read some good reviews about the new Michelin Cross Climate as an alternative to full winters and sound ideal for us in this country so may just give them a go when I need a new set.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-CrossClimate-launched-is-this-a-game-changer.htm

Anyone tried them?

Cheers

Ian

Had my winter tyres on the tintop for just 3 days - then yesterday managed to get a puncture in one - unrepairable.

Blamed the hedge cutters round here that shred the roadside hawthorn into lots of vicous barbs lying in wait....

At the local tyre fitters here, every second person seemed to be getting winter tyres fitted.

Dave.

Having slid down a snowy hill backwards in an A8 Quattro on summer tyres, I can give you a clue!  --  Winter tyres followed PDQ (after which, no problem).

Having said that, two (A6) Allroads were absolutely fine in the snow on Pirelli Allroad and Conti CrossContact tyres (both standard fitment).

On the local Snowshill Road (no pun intended) last time we had standing snow my Mundane with Dunlop D4's made it up the hill where an A6 Quattro spectacularly failed..!

Already on the car for this season.

Here's a tip for you, visit the garages selling part worn tyres and find the outlets that sell the German cast offs, Germany don't use them once down to 6mm! You find these places are full of top brands at a fraction of the price of the super expensive winters.

• Like 1

I got my winter wheels out last weekend. Managed to snap a wheel bolt along the way resulting in a new hub, bearing and ABS sensor :( Hope we get some snow this year as you can really feel the difference then. When it's 1degC and wet you just have to know they're better!

• 2 months later...

When do you all tend to switch back? Mid march?

Normally once the temp is constantly above 7 deg C ( August up here  :rolleyes: ) as most "normal" summer type tyres are not recommended below that temp...................or so I have been led to believe